snow leopard server running under mountain lion mouse cursor problems

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by dbweber, Mar 9, 2013.

1. dbweber

dbweber Bit poster

Running Snow Leopard Server under Mountain Lion using Parallels 8.0.18354, mouse cursor disappears in applications with a custom cursor, for example, QuarkXPress text boxes. I tried turning Smart Mouse off but that makes the cursor disappear totally in all applications. I thought it might be a Parallels Tools issue but I can't uninstall it. I mount the image, click uninstall and it sits there forever saying "Checking Installed Software Please Wait." So there is no way to test if Parallel Tools is the problem without building a new VM and not installing the Tools. I also tried various combinations of virtual machine configurations to no avail. I have a couple of weeks left before the 30 day money back guarantee times out and will return these 2 purchases if this problem cannot be solved.

Suggestions?

2. MichaelLAX

MichaelLAX Member

Last edited: Mar 29, 2013
  3. MickMac

MickMac Junior Member

I too am having this problem - I'm running Canvas X on Snow Leopard which is all virtualized under 10.8.2 and whenever I select a tool that changes the cursor the whole cursor/mouse just disappears and I can't draw anything :-(. Does anybody at all know how to fix this?

4. MichaelLAX

MichaelLAX Member

I am hearing that Pinpoint can solve this problem.

Try it and report back to us, thank you!

5. MickMac

MickMac Junior Member

I just tried that and it kind of works, but it's not a very good solution. The cursor is replaced with a huge attention grabbing cursor that really isn't much good for e.g. the accurate work you want to do in a drawing package.

Has anybody actually filed a bug report about this to Parallels - I just downloaded the update today and the issue is still there :-(.

6. MichaelLAX

MichaelLAX Member

Good Point! Please file a bug report.

I am not the one experiencing the problem, so I cannot report it.

7. karendesign

karendesign Junior Member

Aha, others are having this issue, too! I will also file a bug report.

--Karen

8. rembem

rembem Bit poster

I'm having the same issue with Parallels Desktop 8, Snow Leopard Server and Freehand.

Pinpoint crashes my system preference pane. This is no solution.

I also tried all Smart Mouse settings: on/off/auto. Does not work, makes cursor totally disappear.

I filed a bug report.

9. Flocky

Flocky Bit poster

I'm having similar problems dont know if it Parallels or Wacom though. Recently bought Parallels 8.0.18 for new mac running Mountain Lion 10.8 to run Snow Leopard with Rosetta and bought a superdrive. Installed Snow Leopard for the express purpose of keeping graphics programmes and using my trusty but old Wacom Graphics tablet. Which runs without problems in OS 10.4.11 on a PPC G5 and on Snow Leopard on a mac mini - and once I found the correct drivers it runs in windows 7 in Parallels as well . So no mouse or pointer problems with or without the tablet plugged in on all 3 set ups, It might be a Wacom driver problem if it were not for the fact that using the "magic mouse" as an alternative input device.... results in problem in photoshop in Snow Leopard only.

My main problem is that in Snow Leopard on Parallels the second the tablet is plugged in the mouse pointer vanishes without a trace from the desktop and every other window including the desktop, except for the main drawing window in CS2 - puts harry potter's cloak of invisibility to shame. The mouse is active the pointer is moving but can't I see where the little bugger is unless I right click or it crosses a button or menu on the desktop or in photoshop. If I unplug the tablet and elect to use the mouse instead of the pen I get the pointer back but cannot draw in the main drawing window of CS2, the paint brush refuses to track mouse movements and is not recognized by some tools .

I have reinstalled tools tried several drivers, no luck

Parallels is a fantastic programe Photoshop works fine in windows just a pity about the inferior support for Snow Leopard and the invisible mouse pointer problem. Any ideas anyone.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2013
  10. MichaelLAX

MichaelLAX Member

The disappearing cursor problem has now been reported while using Appleworks 6.2.9 in SLS in Parallels 8 and has its own recent post here on this forum.

He told me that Pinpoint works for him in his draw modules of Appleworks, but not the spreadsheet module.

Try reinstalling Parallels Tools: http://kb.parallels.com/en/4841

Last edited: May 5, 2013
  11. gsboar

gsboar Bit poster

parallels 8 - sls: freehand - disappearing cursor

hey kids!

yep, same problem here....

although still annoyed, i am becoming used to moving the mouse up or down until the cursor appears "when it finds itself" in the top menu bar, or in the dock....

has anyone tested to see if this problem occurs w/ use of a trackpad? has anyone tried a custom cursor app? i doubt the latter will work (but i haven't tried it) because mighty mouse cursor app does not work w/ 10.6 & icursor will not work w/ multiple screens, which is sorta what we have w/ vm....

and, a big public thanks to MichaelLAX for help getting sls up&running & pointing this thread out to me.

jso

12. MichaelLAX

MichaelLAX Member

Coherence works!

Shout outs to Patth9 over on my MacRumors thread who pointed out that Coherence works with SLS and Parallels 8!

I still cannot get an image to upload, but I am showing a screenshot here!

13. julianes

julianes Bit poster

i'm also having problems with the mouse cursor in freehand. i tried installing parallels both 7 and 8 + snow leopard + freehand without installing parallels tools. and the cursor was working perfectly. but without parallels tools, the screen resolution it's fixed at 1024x768 option only.. which is bad resolution for a imac 21' or 27' monitor. is there a way to fix this without having to install parallels tools?

cheers.

14. MichaelLAX

MichaelLAX Member

Check out these posts which have been reported to solve the disappearing mouse problem

15. basurerob

basurerob Bit poster

Hello.

I have found a solution to the disappearance of the pointer when using Freehand in Snow Leopard Server running on Parallels Desktop. It may not be the best solution, but it works.

In Snow Leopard Server: Finder / System Preferences / Universal Access / Mouse. In the bottom of the window / Cursor size.

By default, the cursor size is Normal. Move the bar slowly, until the cursor increase the minimum.

From this point the cursor no longer disappears when using Freehand.

(I have a mac book pro 17 inch late 2011 with Mountain Lion Native. I have Snow Leopard Server installed on Parallels 8 (8.0.18494). The solution I propose also works in earlier versions of Parallels.)

I hope this solution will help them all.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2013