Running Mac OS X Mavericks 10.9 in Parallels Desktop 8 for Mac Virtual Machine

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by kenmadsen, Jun 11, 2013.

1. Julio.Bouza

Julio.Bouza Bit poster

Are you able to get Location Services to work in VMWare?

2. jkbull

jkbull Bit poster

Solution that worked for me

I was able to update a 10.8 VM to 10.9 by following directions on a post in the Apple Developer forums:

I cloned a 10.8 VM and configured it with 2 processors, 2GB of memory, and 64MB video memory.

Then I copied the 10.9 Install app onto the VM's Desktop, double-clicked it and it all went smoothly.

Afterwards I reconfigured it to 4 processors, 6GB memory, and 256MB video memory, and it seems to be working fine.

3. barnoleus

barnoleus Bit poster

I can confirm this works. Using this configuration and the instructions from the Pastebin link provided earlier, I've found it's also possible to do a clean install of 10.9. However, the installer must be called from the terminal as the instructions state.

4. mccamro

mccamro Bit poster

This worked fine. Thx.

5. Julio.Bouza

Julio.Bouza Bit poster

This seems to work in Parallel. I was able to install it. I did keep it with the 2 processor, 2GB of memory and 64MB video. Location Services are enabled but they don't work. I might need to check my firewall configs.

6. mccamro

mccamro Bit poster

I'm running it with 4 processors, 6GB RAM (of Total 16) and 128MB video. Works smoothly.

7. YankeeBoBo

YankeeBoBo Bit poster

I can also confirm that I'm past the gray screen by changing the spec configurations. It's installing as we speak.

8. stevekstevek

stevekstevek Bit poster

How do you do that? I went through the Parallels wizard to do the install, but it seems to be hanging on a grey boot screen, with a picture of a CD saying "OS X Install ESD".

Maybe I need to create the VM differently..

9. stevekstevek

stevekstevek Bit poster

hmm, it seems I'm just stuck in the Parallels boot screen. If I type, I get a boot: command.

10. Vhc-John

Vhc-John Bit poster

You may want to check the settings (Configuration) for the VM. I, too, originally had problems with the Grey Screen and boot: message. Adjust the settings to use 2 CPU's, and the Video to have 64mb available (minimum). Mine is going through the final stages of install right now with those settings fixed.

-John

11. Andrew@Parallels

Andrew@Parallels Parallels Team

Hi All,

We've got some great news for you!
    Feel free to use the instructions in this KB article to install Mac OS X Mavericks 10.9 Developer Preview in Parallels Desktop 8 for Mac Virtual Machine:
    http://kb.parallels.com/116282

12. Musicman

Musicman Bit poster

I have managed to install Mavericks OS X 10.9 on to Parallels Desktop 8.

I first installed Mountain Lion OS X 10.8.4, then before booting up Mountain Lion I changed the Video Configurations for the Virtual Machine to 128 instead of the default of 256. Once that was done, I logged in to Mountain Lion OS X 10.8.4 opened the App Store and logged in with my Developers User Name and ID. The next step was to go to the purchases tab where it shows Mavericks OS X 10.9, Hit download and installed as an upgrade in the usual way.

13. tonyberinson

tonyberinson Bit poster

I have tried about 100 times and cant get past a screen telling me that my install wont work - can anyone help - or maybe - let me download a copy of their pvm file??

Screen Shot 2013-06-17 at 10.40.59 AM.png

thanks heaps.

14. tonyberinson

tonyberinson Bit poster

Anyone can help please??

15. SuperSonicFrog

SuperSonicFrog Bit poster

10.9 Developer Preview Working in Parallels 8 VM

Hi All,

Yes I have managed to get it working after having the same issue as above.

Just increase the video RAM applied to the VM from the default 32MB to 128MB. I did this prior to reverting to the snapshot of 10.8, then ran the install for the Dev Preview and it ran through perfectly.

Hope that helps out.

SSF