screen resolution does not save

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by BryanW1992, Oct 13, 2012.

1. BryanW1992

BryanW1992 Bit poster

Hi everyone,

I am running windows 7 professional on my mac through Parallels. I am using it in fullscreen mode and I want to change the resolution because of a program that only function in a 4:3 resolution. However. This all works correct. But when I restart or relogin on windows. Windows forgot my old screenresolution and automaticly change it back to the standard resolution. I can't find any solution for this, and it's kind a annoying that I have to change it everytime when I restart or relogin on windows.

Anyone know how I can save the screen resolution for windows?

Thanks so much!

2. BryanW1992

BryanW1992 Bit poster

anyone?? please...? :)

3. serv

serv Forum Maven

Maybe that will help:

4. sakamoto

sakamoto Bit poster

Please give us the option to set a fixed resolution

+1 on this.

This is my only irritation with Parallels... I have to set my screen resolution every time I plug/unplug from my secondary monitor. I would like to simply specify and fixed resolution and not have Parallels change it. Sadly while it would seem to be the simplest option to program, is not not and option in the VM settings.

--sakamoto

5. CShack

CShack Bit poster

Also +1 on this - I can finally run my rMBP in "best for Retina" in OS X, but my Windows in 1920x1200! Specifically:

- In the VM config, Hardware -> Video -> set Resolution to More Space
    - In the VM config, Options -> Full Screen -> set Scale to fit screen to Keep Ratio
    - I booted the VM (Windows 8) to full-screen mode and set the resolution to what I wanted.
    - I rebooted the VM and it kept the resolution.

Thanks!
    J

6. Niceguy

Niceguy Bit poster

@CShack:
    Do I understand well, that you run your OS X in 1440*900 but your Windows 8 in Parallels with 1920*1200?
    This works well? Do you have to use scaling in Windows video settings, or do you run 100% scaling? All is displayed well and crisp in Windows?

Do you have a possibility check with an additional external Monitor (maybe a Thunderbolt Display) and check about moving Windows 8 windows there?

If you like, we can go on discussing this topic via PM or E-Mail, to not spoil up this thread here.
    You really would help me a lot.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2013
  7. CShack

CShack Bit poster

Yes, though I should say "scaled" resolutions - not physical resolutions. I can run my OS X in "best for retina", which has the same "usable space" as 1440*900, though I'm sure it's actually using the full physical resolution of 2880x1800. At the same time, I can run my Win8 VM in full-screen mode and set the resolution of that independently, and it stays as long as I don't leave full screen mode. It takes up the whole screen and looks quite good, though you can still tell it doesn't match the physical resolution. I don't change any Windows DPI stuff - it's still at 100%. If I accidentally click the upper-right and leave full-screen mode, I have to go back to full-screen and then re-set my preferred resolution. The only thing that looks "off" is the mouse cursor is small, which is easily fixed if that bothers you.

Another note: I have the "startup view" to be "same as last time", and I always run it (and therefore, shut it down) while in full screen. That helps it keep the resolution, because like I mention above with the "leaving full-screen" thing - if you go back to, or start up in windowed mode, you'll lose whatever resolution you had manually set.

As I type this, I'm running OS X in "Looks like 1920x1200" and my Win8 VM is set to 1680x1050. I can change around the OS X side and it doesn't impact the VM resolution being 1680x1050.

I don't have access to a Thunderbolt display. I could try with an external if you really need.

CShack

8. Niceguy

Niceguy Bit poster

Thanks for replying CShack.
    That sounds quite good so far, really.
    It is important for me in that way, that I think about buying a mbpr and a thunderbolt display, leaving my 'Windows only world'.
    But I will have to use Windows too and there I really need a resolution of minimum FullHD 1920*1080 (I'm a 'Windows' programmer).
    So if I can assure this on mbpr in Parallels fullscreen mode as you say, with having 100% scaling in Windows (no DPI changing) it looks fine.

If you could check the behaviour of an external display it would be really helpful to me.
    Is it possible, to run the VM in fullscreen mode over both screens, like a native Windows, while having the 1920*1200 resolution on the internal screen and the full native resolution of the external?

9. serv

serv Forum Maven

Niceguy,

In an earlier post here you indicated that you're going to run OS X on retina screen in 1920x1080 'more space' mode and you want the same resolution in Windows in full screen. The easiest setting to achieve this is to set VM Configuration > Hardware > Video > Resolution to Scaled. Such setup would use native resolution for external displays exactly as you want it.

10. CShack

CShack Bit poster

I tested with an external display connected via HDMI and set the resolution independently. Also, you can use Parallels across both screens, or if put the VM in Windowed mode, drag it into the 2nd screen, THEN go full screen, you can have the VM as full screen only on that 2nd monitor and the laptop display stays whatever res I want in OS X. It's quite nice.

I too am a Windows developer and I use this 15" rMBP for almost all of it. I always run my Win8 / Visual Studio as full-screen and just use the 4-finger gesture to fly between OS X and the VM. I don't even bother with Boot Camp, the VM is so fast. Plus I read somewhere that using a virtual hard drive is probably faster than using a Boot Camp partition.

Personally, I'd hold off on a TB display until they release updated ones in the near future. I always check sites like this before buying any Apple hardware, but that's my preference.

Good luck!

CShack

11. Niceguy

Niceguy Bit poster

@serv:
    Thank you very much for your Statement!

@CShack:
    Thanks a lot for your effort.
    Now I think I have enough arguments to convince my boss in buying a mbpr 15" for me. :)

Regarding the Thunderbolt Display:
    I like it so much in that way, that it is a docking station also!
    But I will dig a bit in the link you provided before buying one.
    Once more: Thx! ;-)