ZoneAlarm and/or SMB crashing Windows XP

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by mcg, May 1, 2006.

1. mcg

mcg Hunter

I'm using XP SP2 as a guest and I've disabled shared folders because, frankly, they don't work yet. I have Internet Sharing enabled on the Mac, sharing my wired ethernet connection to the Parallels host-only network. I have ZoneAlarm Security Suite installed on the guest OS.

With this setup, I am trying to access an share outside of the host-only network (that is, it's not the Mac itself). But when I do this, I get a BSOD with a STOP error message. (It's hard to see because the system reboots before I can finish reading it!) Here's what the system log says:

The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x1000008e (0xc0000005, 0x804e7410, 0xf74962c0, 0x00000000). A dump was saved in: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini050106-04.dmp

I was able to grab the dump file by copying it to the host via SSH, and I have attached it to this message. I've attached that fine here.

This happens consistently every time I try to access an SMB share, and it doesn't matter if I'm accessing the Mac host or some outside share. Shutting down the firewall before making the attempt increases the likelyhiood of success, but doesn't guarantee it.

One more tidbit: I accidentally misspelled the name of the share---I used ".ed" instead of ".edu"---and it crashed immediately. So it doesn't even need to make the connection to crash.

Attached Files:

2. mcg

mcg Hunter

uh... bump? :)

3. Steve Miller

Steve Miller Bit poster

No idea if this will help, but I've always found Zone Alarm to block connections to other computers on my home network, unless I went into the settings and permissioned the IP address of the machine to which I was trying to connect (Mac or WinXP). Since you're trying to access a share outside of your network, I'm not sure if this is the problem (though at a minimum, I would think you would have to permission ZA to give you access). FYI, I never had a BSOD (straight XP setup, not running Parallels inside of Mac), I just wasn't able to see the other computer.

Steve

4. greg1075

greg1075 Member

For what it's worth...after I installed Zone Alarm on my guest OS (XP SP2) the internet connexion came to a crawl or just would not work at all. Right after I uninstalled it everything came back to normal. I think the problem is with True Vector that kept crashing. I'd say try another firewall.

5. dhjdhj

dhjdhj Hunter

Interesting - I just upgraded to the latest version of Zone Alarm on my WINDOWS machine (not Mac running Windows) and found that True Vector is crashing....previous version of Zone Alarm didn't have this problem. I wonder if the new version of Zone Alarm is broken.

D