Can't start Windows 8 VM on latest MacBook Air

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by endquotedotcom, Jun 18, 2013.

1. TKOakland

TKOakland Bit poster

Gonna jump in here and add another to the thread with the same issue. Any ETA on a fix Parallels?

2. NYC212

NYC212 Bit poster

Every new Macbook Air we deploy in our organization has this issue. Any ETA on the fix or a workaround?

3. Jackson Owens

Jackson Owens Bit poster

Just upgraded to Parellels 8 for my MBA and hit the same problem.

Report id: 26387894

Last edited: Jul 3, 2013
  4. corwin

corwin Bit poster

Ditto: 26382039

5. phphphph

phphphph Bit poster

6. corwin

corwin Bit poster

This workaround worked for me. I had a little trouble in that the instructions said to "select device manager, than select you installation media USB or DVD will be in the device name depending on the media your using (make sure you've mounted the usb device in parallels, usb icon at bottom of the window)." It's "boot manager" you want, not "device manager". Also, I installed boot camp via DVD (I bought the external drive with my mac air) and I needed to make sure to click the little dvd icon at the bottom and make sure that it indicated that the correct hardware was mounted in Parallels. The rest of this was flawless. Thanks to all for figuring out a fix. Hopefully, Parallels will come up with a more elegant solution to boot from the installed drive instead of forcing us to waste 20 M on a virtual boot drive.

7. TKOakland

TKOakland Bit poster

Good to know Corwin - it's a great solution for an individual user, but for large deployments Parallels needs to solve this. And, I frankly don't have the time to do all of that given my work schedule. So, Andrew@Parallels, is there an ETA on a fix? I can almost promise you're going to run in to this when Apple switches over the new Retina MPBs to PCIe Boot as well.

8. >>> Message has been deleted by the user <<<

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 10, 2013
  9. corwin

corwin Bit poster

I don't know if it makes a difference, but when I did this, I made sure that the USB memory stick that contained the DVD drivers created for bootcamp was plugged in.

10. TKOakland

TKOakland Bit poster

I had this issue as well - I wound up using the Bootcamp program along with the Win8 DVD to create an entirely new installer on the USB key that had *both* the Win8 installation files AND the boot drivers. Took out the DVD, then used the USB key to boot.

11. AcademicBarzo

AcademicBarzo Bit poster

Same problem here. Thankfully found this thread before I did anything stupid. Not prepared to try workarounds. I'd like this software to work as advertised. I've also raised this as issue with Parallels support: [Parallels #1684079]. Here's hoping they are working away on a fix.

12. woodpecka

woodpecka Bit poster

Any ETA guys??

13. NYC212

NYC212 Bit poster

So frustrating. No communication after being asked to file a problem report. Looking at other options now.

14. sethmw

sethmw Bit poster

Has Parallels support in the USA helped anyone resolve this issue, or assist with the workaround mentioned in this thread? I'm asking about USA support, because I'm based in Asia and believe I'm receiving support from India or the Phil. do to the time difference. I'm wondering if it would behoove me to stay awake and try getting support from the US.

I'm very frustrated as well, they opened a support ticket for me, logged into my machine 2x to get data, which is great.... But then they closed the ticket and said I needed to wait for an upgrade to Paralllels. I asked several times to keep the ticket open until the problem was resolved, but they refused. Not great service IMHO.

Pretty upset because I just bought the license and I cant use the software, and they aren't willing to keep the support ticket open :(

Last edited: Jul 18, 2013
  15. sethmw

sethmw Bit poster

Update, I ended up getting a call scheduled with someone different in Parallels second line support after my last post.

They do have an internal work around for the problem, and they were able to remotely get my machine up and running in a matter of a few minutes.

Very pleased that it's working now. If you try getting support for the problem, just make sure they have someone that is experienced at resolving the issue call you back, and you should be golden.

16. TKOakland

TKOakland Bit poster

Good to know, and thanks for the update... @Parallels: So, when does this internal fix get pushed out to everyone, so those of us with more than once license and one laptop can get it as part of a software update?

17. JL1234

JL1234 Bit poster

I filed a ticket and someone from Parallels called me back in an hour to resolve the issue. As Seth said, the Parallels tech used a remote connection program to run a script that enabled EFI booting for the Boot Camp VM. The actual script only took a few minutes (there were a few other hiccups that interfered) and it should be relatively quick for anyone else who has this issue.

18. corwin

corwin Bit poster

It looks like the fix is out there: http://kb.parallels.com/116582

But when I run it, I get: "Can't do inplace edit: /Users/poitras/Documents/Parallels/My Boot Camp.pvm is not a regular file, <> line 130."