parallels tools uninstallation leaves damaged directx

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by Ray_001, Jun 21, 2007.

1. Ray_001

Ray_001 Bit poster

Like everyone else, I've had my share of mishaps and problems with parallels 3.0. I installed version 3 (4124) and then upgraded to build 4128. I wanted to uninstall parallels tools on the guest (windows xp via bootcamp partition) operating system, so I launched parallels and started my guest operating system. I went to add/remove programs and clicked uninstall parallels tools. After doing so, it told me to restart, which I did. I then used boot camp to boot into my windows partition. To my surprise, when I launched a game that worked previously it said that I had "an incorrect version of DirectX". Hence, I went to start->run->dxdiag. When the diagnostic tool launched, it said: "Error: Problem getting extra display info, result code = 0x887600de (No DirectDraw support)". Indeed, when I clicked on the display tab the directdraw option was greyed out. I tried installing directx 9.0c again, as well as uninstalling and reinstalling my ati graphics drivers, but to no avail. I do not want to have to reinstall parallels tools to fix this problem. Help!
    For reference, I have an iMac Core Duo Rev. A (1.8 Core Duo, ATI X1600, 1.5 Gb RAM, Dual boot Mac OS X 10.4.10, Windows XP SP2)

2. brkirch

brkirch Pro

You can download the latest DirectX runtime from Microsoft and install it, anything missing/broken should be fixed by the installer.

3. Ray_001

Ray_001 Bit poster

I did. The problem is not that files are missing from directx. Rather, it is that directx no longer supports directdraw for my video card, the radeon x1600.

4. wesley

wesley Pro

How about trying to install, reboot, then uninstall Parallels Tools? It might be that Parallels video driver might be conflicting with your Bootcamp Radeon driver.

5. brkirch

brkirch Pro