Installing Parallels on Vista Business?

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration in Windows and Linux' started by robsoft, Jun 21, 2007.

1. robsoft

robsoft Junior Member

Just a quick question to help a buying decision. Does Parallels Workstation install and run on Vista Business?

I currently run Parallels on my MacBookPro, using it to run WinXPPro. I only have one Mac and several Windows machines, and as a peace of mind thing I'd like to be able to run my backed-up WinXP VM on a Windows machine if the Mac ever went sick. I know the VHD files are compatible between the tools, so picking up a copy of Workstation seems like a no-brainer....

...except the only box I've got handy to put it on is this new Vista Business box I have here for testing.

Really don't want to buy Parallels Workstation and then find that it won't install (or run) properly on Vista for some stupid reason or other, so just wondered if someone from Parallels could confirm that Vista Business is okay to host a Parallels install (of WinXP).

Thanks!
    Rob

2. robsoft

robsoft Junior Member

Well, in lieu of response, I downloaded it and tried it (several of the forum posts seemed to imply other people had got it running okay).

It does work, although if I install Parallels Tools into the guest then the mouse stops working in the guest machine. I have to use the keyboard to get to the control panel and use the add/remove programs option, then uninstall Parallels Tools, then after the reboot I can use the mouse in the guest again. Weird, not had this problem before on numerous VMs within Parallels on the Mac. :-(

Anyway, given that the guest machine can see the rest of my network, I can live without the tools improvements - having to press CTRL-ALT when I switch from guest to host and vice versa isn't such a big deal, I tend to work in one machine at a time most of the day anyway.

If anyone does read this, and can shed any light on the mouse issue (this is running Windoex XP Pro SP2 as a guest, on a Vista Business host), please reply!

And Parallels, if you do read these forums and are looking for people to get behind your Windows versions - just having someone swing by one or twice a day to cast a quick eye over the Windows forums wouldn't hurt!

It's a great product on the Mac, by the way!

3. offline

offline Bit poster

I was wondering the same thing, I have a laptop with Vista Home on it and was wondering if it worked or should I just dual boot and be done with it.

Thanks,

Chris Edwards