No Sound in any Win VM (XP and 7)

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by MikeMo, Jul 15, 2013.

1. MikeMo

MikeMo Member

Mac OS 10.8.4
    27 inch imac 3.4 GHz i7 w/32 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680MX

Parallels 8.0.18494

Running 2 XP and 1 Win 7 VMs.

I have no sound with any of the VMs. Did not have sound in 7 VM before last Parallels update. Had sound in XP VMs up until last Friday when I installed the latest Parallels update.

Please advise. I cant get sound to work in any of the VMs. Sound is not muted and settings are correct. This is a big issue for me.

2. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

Reinstall Parallels Tools.

3. MikeMo

MikeMo Member

Didn't work.

4. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

Uninstall PT from the control panel > add/remove..., restart, install PT.

5. MikeMo

MikeMo Member

How do I reinstall parallel's tools? Now stuck with message "Click Continue to connect the Parallels Tools installation CD to this virtual machine... I click continue and nothing happens.

6. MikeMo

MikeMo Member

never mind.. doing it now

7. MikeMo

MikeMo Member

Didnt work. Now running slow and had to redo network settings in win vm.

8. MikeMo

MikeMo Member

Im going to try and start from scratch with a new XP vm.. clean installation.

9. MikeMo

MikeMo Member

Fresh xp VM has no audio issues. Perplexing. Will stay away from updates for a while.

10. MikeMo

MikeMo Member

Well... that was fun. Audio worked.. but realized it was an older version of XP. Updated to SP3.. and no audio again.

11. (Misa)

(Misa) Bit poster

Hello, When you install Parallels Desktop, this software instals automatically many devices including media player devices...
    Open your Parallels Desktop, go to Control Panel, Add and Delete programs...in the left list there is a option called "Windows Funktion Active or Deactive"...go there...will open many folders....go to media function and deactivate it...restart parallels Desktop...after this turn off Parallels, and Shut down your mac....so turn on again...
    For me works fine...
    Tks

12. MikeMo

MikeMo Member

Well... dont know what I did, but after playing around with the new VM I suddenly had audio! I've been wanting to start with a fresh VM for a while, and this gave me an excuse to put in the time. I'm still concerned that I cant get audio to work in the old XP and new 7 VM, but at least have a fully functional VM to get my work done for now. I havent tried uninstalling/reinstalling parallels tools in the 7 VM yet. Ill play when I get time and report back with the results.

Thanks for the help