Build 4128 Parallels Tools Update: Blew up Windows

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by orion2087, Jun 22, 2007.

1. orion2087

orion2087 Bit poster

I had Parallels running alright on version 3.0, and today I opened up Parallels and got a notice that there was a build update. I downloaded and installed 4128. When I booted to XP, parallels starting installing the new tools. Part way through, I was looking at a IRQL NOT LESS OR EQUAL BSOD, which I'm aware is usually a driver problem...

So I forced reboot my VM and CHKDSK automatically ran and found and deleted lot of problems with files that I believe were parallels drivers. After windows booted, I couldn't use my keyboard or mouse in XP. I was able to boot to safe mode where I couldn't use the keyboard or mouse either. This is a boot camp VM, so I tried booting to Boot Camp where I could use the keyboard, but not the mouse. Same story in safe mode.

It seems like parallels tools needs to be reinstalled, but without a mouse I can't get very far doing that. Thoughts?

Last edited: Jun 22, 2007
  2. Shidayu

Shidayu Member

Just a suggestion, not sure if it would work, but perhaps it would be possible to pass the mouse through to the VM (if you have a USB mouse) so that it works in the VM but not Mac OS X temporarily. I am thinking that this would work on the same level as, say, a printer you plug in and pass through to the VM.

Again, not even close to being sure if that would be possible or will work, but it's something I thought of. I can't test this right now as I am at work and away from my Mac.

3. JimboH

JimboH Bit poster

I've had a similar issue. I'm not really sure what happened with my boot camp partition, I think it was trying to install something and failed. Next thing I know the check disk utitility is running and it fixed some things.

I didn't think anything of it until I tried to boot directly into boot camp, which not only took forever, but my usb mouse and keyboard on my macbook are unresponsive.

4. vbock

vbock Bit poster

I'm having similar issues with 5160. If I disable the CD-ROM Drive, I can get the VM to boot all the way, but it complains that it can't install the new parallels tools.

If I enable the CD-ROM drive, I get a blue screen of death and IRQL NOT LESS OR EQUAL BSOD

How can I fix this?

5. vbock

vbock Bit poster

6. Parallels_User_SF

Parallels_User_SF Bit poster

Also happens with build 5608

I recently bought the iPhone. XP loaded a new USB driver for it the first time I plugged it in and since then I am getting the BSOD with error message IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL. I have followed the prior suggestion in http://kb.parallels.com/en/5062 and deleted UpperFilters (there was no LowerFilters), but to no avail. Anyone have a suggestion on what to do next, besides reinstalling XP?

BTW, who thinks up a name like IRQL NOT LESS OR EQUAL. Geez.

Thanks

Config:
    MAC Mini, 1.83 GHz, 2GB SDRAM
    Parallels Desktop 3.0, Build 5608

7. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven