How to backup a parallels virtual machine?

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by mmjr2000, Jul 17, 2013.

1. mmjr2000

mmjr2000 Junior Member

Hi,
    I know this may sound stupid. I want to make a backup of my Parallels virtual machine and wasn't sure if there was a specific way of doing this?

My current location of my Parallels virtual machine is located in: Documents > Parallels

Could I just copy the .pvm file to a external hard drive? or is there a specific way of doing this?

Thanks for any advice and help.

2. mmjr2000

mmjr2000 Junior Member

I guess the above question answers my own question.

However I have a few questions that kind of relate to the question above.

1.) When making a copy of the .pvm and restoring why does it want to load coherence all the time? Is this a bug?
    - I have my Options > Startup and Shutdown > Startup View: Same as last time. I don't see why the copy can't remember that? In order for me to prevent it from starting up in coherence I have to change it to Window. Any ideas, suggestions?

2.) Sometimes when going into coherence mode, why does the stupid windows taskbar appear? I know you can turn this off but I think this is the most annoying ever. Another bug?

- I have seen all these updates for Parallels Desktop 8 for Mac but honestly I'm not sure what these updates are doing as far as not fixing the most important.

Once again thanks for any advice and help.

3. NormanLy

NormanLy Bit poster

I use Time Machine to back up my Mac. If I have trouble with a virtual machine I just delete its .pvm file and copy it from backup. That usually throws me back a month or so causing Windows Update to set to work for an hour or so. Works every time though without the issues reported by mmjr2000.