3D Connexion Spacepilot Mouse WILL NOT WORK sometimes (windows 7 parallels 8)

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by jonathan_david, Apr 13, 2013.

1. jonathan_david

jonathan_david Hunter

i have a 3DConnexion Spacepilot and have religiously downloaded the drivers for this hardware.

i am currently using the 3.28.2013 driver for this device.

http://www.3dconnexion.com/service/drivers.html

unfortunately, the device seems to constantly drop off of the radar and almost all of the time it is not working in the software that i have loaded in windows 7 64 bit in parallels 8.

i have tried unplugging and plugging back in the USB connexion, i have tried keeping it plugged into the back of the machine (near the bus of the motherboard i guess), i have checked to see that the device is listed in Devices (see screenshot):

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ttr8g2r6dmbvk7k/Screen Shot 2013-04-13 at 1.50.17 PM.png

i have also been religiously updating my parallels since version 5.

this device has no problem being recognized by windows 7 and i am wondering what is up.

can anyone advise or have any suggestions?

TIA!

macpro | 2x2.66 ghz dual core intel xeon 13 gb, nvidia geforce 8800gt, OSX 10.7.5 with 64 bit Win7 in Parallels 7 | Win7 BootCamp

macbookpro | intel 2.53 ghz core 2 duo 8gb, nvidia geforce 9400m, OSX 10.8.2

2. Kim Long

Kim Long Bit poster

Hi
    Have you had any luck getting it working yet? I have just bought one and am trying to get it to run. Works fine under Mac but is not recognised as being connected under windows7. I've tried reinstalling the drivers but no luck so far.
    If anybody has any suggestions I'm all ears ... ?

iMac 10.8.4, Parallels 8, Win7 32

3. Kim Long

Kim Long Bit poster

I found the solution ... No doubt a case of RTFM ... After installing the drivers etc go>Parallels>Devices>USB>Select Spacemouse (or whatever in shows as) ... the rest is easy

4. jonathan_david

jonathan_david Hunter

hi kim. i have not solved this but it looks like you have?

can you give me the rest of the instructions here? i mean, what are the steps you have taken after pulling down to the device? i get a lot of questions off list about this from various forums and no one has solved it AFAIK.

also, my spacepilot is listed as "Spacepilot #3" which makes me wonder if in need to uninstall or re-install the device.

finally, can you tell me which driver version you are running? is it the same one you would run in a conventional windows 7 or windows XP installation or are you using a different driver?

THANKS

5. Kim Long

Kim Long Bit poster

First let me say I am no expert with this. My theory is 'try enough stuff and somethings bound to work ... or not' So this is what I did ...
    Running in OSX 10.8.4 I plugged in the Spacemouse then opened Safari to the 3DConnexion.com/drivers page and downloaded and installed the driver. This took 2 seconds and the Spacemouse works perfectly in Google Earth. Next I started windows 7 under Parallels. Ran Windows updater to make sure everything was the latest. Then I opened Internet explorer under windows, went to the same 3DConnexion page and downloaded and installed the driver. After rebooting windows the Spacemouse didn't show up or work even though it was working fine under Mac. After removing and installing several times and still no luck I suddenly twigged so then I went to Parallels desktop>Devices>USB and select Spacemouse, (although mine is actually named SpaceM #2) and it started working. If I shutdown windows and restart I have to select from the devices column each time but it does work!
    I'm not sure of the actual driver version number but you should download the very latest before installing.
    Let me know if this works for you or you can find a way of making the selection stick.

Kim

6. jonathan_david

jonathan_david Hunter

hi. thanks a lot for posting back.

so for some stupid reason - likely due to me being way too busy and not having enough time to think about this - i was doing this pulldown and getting it to work and then thinking it worked for awhile and then suddenly stopped working. by this time of course i had forgotten the method to get it working again until i finally hit upon pulling down and reconnecting the spacemouse,

i see that this is an issue of it DROPPING OFF each time i shut down parallels (presumably). i wonder if there is a fix that can be suggested to Parallels or to 3DX.

i also wonder if there is a workaround that works where i disconnect the spacemouse while in windows 7/parallels (or maybe while not in windows 7/parallels?) and hold down the OPTION KEY to tell it to always connect up to windows/parallels...

sure would be super not to have to run this pulldown routine every time i want to use a mouse...

THANKS for the help here.

7. Kim Long

Kim Long Bit poster

It is a strange one. Everything else in the Devices>USB list seems to stick. I'm using an Apple trackpad as my mouse and it works perfectly in windows. If I get a chance I'll have another look to see if there is some way of setting it in Parallels preferences but at the moment it's working and thats a good thing!
    I have to say this Spacemouse is incredible, it is actually even better than I thought it was going to be. Moving my model for the best view as I direct model-!!! Brilliant-!!!

8. jonathan_david

jonathan_david Hunter

hi. thanks again as i really did not solve this until you explained it.

that said it is an uber pain to have to remount this device each and every time so it would be great to hear of a solution that mounts it so it doesn't drop off. i wonder if support from parallels is warranted here or if it is strictly a 3dx driver issue.

anyway, i have been doing the 3dmouse for ages but moving to mac and then virtual machines has been a bit of a challenge.

can i ask you what else you use it for? i have not seen mine activate using google maps which would be absolutely awesome. i guess it works for google earth is that right?

what 3D software do you use it with?

i guess i can search and find a list of software on the 3DX site now that i think about this...

anyway, major thanks for clearing this up. i can't work without it in my 3D CAD package.

9. Kim Long

Kim Long Bit poster

I haven't tried it with Google maps but it does awesome fly-thru/overs in Google earth.

I did see a list somewhere of supported software, probably on the 3DConnexion site.

My specific use if with Solid Edge which I'm just starting to get to grips with, but I see what you mean, even after only one day I couldn't imagine going without it.

10. MartialG

MartialG Bit poster

Hello, I found the solution for the use of the space mouse in Windows under parallels and on native Mac OSX. Because of conflicts of OSX and Windows in the use of the receiver. You can't work simultaneous with the space mouse in the two systems with software activated each for the respectable operating system.

So if you do not need to run Parellels, closed it and use the OSX system for the space mouse. Ones your done with the job on OSX, you can start Parallels but this action will stop the connexion with OSX and you will be able to use it in the software running under Windows. The same in opposite way is also true.

But I can't understand that a Logitec mouse works in the two systems, without any action between the two systems and that this method isn't included for the space mouse. Where is the issue in this device?

11. MaximeE

MaximeE Bit poster

Bonjour, j'ai réussit à faire fonctionner la sourie mais pas la programation des touches est ce votre cas aussi ?