Always logs into Administrator

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by neilford, Jun 22, 2007.

1. neilford

neilford Junior Member

Parallels always logs me in to the Administrator. How do I prevent this? I want to see the log in screen. This is a dangerous thing, to be unable to defer the login. I cannot find any documentation on how to prevent this.

Thanks.

neilford

2. orion2087

orion2087 Bit poster

Sounds like you may be able to just do some minor registry editing:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315231

Follow Microsoft's instructions, but instead of changing AutoAdminLogon to "1", make sure it is set to "0".

3. brewster44

brewster44 Bit poster

Simply go into the control panel (the user account area) and create a new user. Now logout and you will see the login screen.

Or, You can uncheck "use the welcome screen" and "use fast user switching" if you are in XP. You will then get the old style login window.

BTW, you say "Parallels always logs me in to the Administrator", that's not Parallels doing that, it's Windows...

4. empka

empka Bit poster

logs in as administrator

Windows always logs me on as administator. Then I have to log off that, THEN I get the welcome screen that shows my icon. I am the only user and would like to avoid that extra step. How do I set it up to log in directly to me?

5. nycruza

nycruza Hunter

READ what brewster44 WROTE!!!

That's the post directly above your entry!!!

ajm

6. asterion

asterion Junior Member

Silly question: I've always used XP Pro and that's much better at handling a multi-user and networked environment (or so I'm told anyway) than XP Home. Is the classic login window even supported in XP Home?

7. cWanja

cWanja Junior Member

I think so. I use to XP Home, and had multiple users.

8. AlanH

AlanH Pro

I had that problem. I found the link to Microsoft's KB article, given above by orion2087, and that gave the clues I needed to fix it. It did involve registry editing, you can't do it just be creating a new user.

9. empka

empka Bit poster

reply (esp to nycruza!)

I did try both parts of brewster44's advice before I posted. It solves a slightly different problem. I do not want a login screen at all, as neilford did, but to have it open directly to me. I tried orion2087's link, too, but that addresses a slightly different issue. And the pathways mentioned there look different than mine. AlanH is probably right that the link gives clues rather than the answer...

10. adamcieslak

adamcieslak Bit poster

click start, run, and enter: CONTROL USERPASSWORDS2

then click the box "Users must enter a user name as password to use this computer".

11. neilford

neilford Junior Member

Thanks.

neilford

12. keathmilligan

keathmilligan Bit poster

This may not be Parallels doing this directly, but it definitely has something to do with the way Parallels sets up the Windows guest OS. I've installed XP on more PCs and VMs than I can count and I've never had to hand-edit the registry to get logons to work correctly.