3036: Win-XP Home Re-Activation issue/problem

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by trent, Dec 2, 2006.

1. blackmac

blackmac Junior Member

Probably it's cleaner. I guess so because those multiple windows and hardware profiles introduced in the last public beta have disappeared.

The new coherence mode is fantastic. I wonder how it will be in the final release. Bombastic, I assume!

2. sjs

sjs Junior Member

the new beta sounds great, but I haven't got coherence to work yet. but the VM isn't crashing and I can boot into Windows from Parallels again so I'm making progress!

I'm glad that Parallels is taking the Activation issue on, but it's still not working 100% for me. I cannot wait for the stable release coming up. This is one of the best software investments I have ever made.

3. blackmac

blackmac Junior Member

Had the same problem. Did you install Parallels Tools manually from the menu? I just wrote a reply here explaining how I finally got it to work.

4. chack

chack Bit poster

I'm not even going to bother with it. sjs bascially fixed my activation problem and I fixed a USB problem I was having. From what I'm reading in the thread on the new beta, if I installed it I might risk getting those issues back and developing new ones! I'll just wait for beta 3.

5. TheBear

TheBear Bit poster

The latest beta release is great! Fixed the activation problem quite well.... I too am quite interested in the final release.

6. Khoji

Khoji Member

I called Microsoft this morning and directly asked them what sort of license I need to install XP twice on the same machine, once directly on the hardware and once in a virtual machine. They stated categorically that I would need two XP licenses for this, so it doesn't look as though they are going to do much to help resolve the problem. I find their attitude a little foolish and greedy, and in the long run it will probably hurt them rather than help them... :mad:

7. dinodeano89

dinodeano89 Bit poster

Issue with XP Pro activation

I have successfully installed parallels and through this i installed my copy of Windows XP Pro, but during the installation process i was asked to activate my XP Pro, i did this, but as soon as i continue (after the activation step) the screen image comes up with the Windows "Logging Off" then the usual "saving your settings" once it has done this, the message titled "Windows Product Activation" pops up saying "This copy of Windows must be activated with Microsoft before you can log on. Do you want to activate Windows now?" > i click "Yes"

and then as soon as it comes into the "Windows Product Activation" screen, there is a message saying "Windows is already activated. Click OK to exit." > i click "OK"

and then it repeats this process of "logging off... saving settings" then the message "Windows Product Activation... this copy of windows must be activated... do you want to activate windows now.." the same message as before. I am stuck in this process and i have no other options that i am aware of to continue and successfully get into my Windows desktop. I activated my Windows the correct way, over the telephone, after the internet activation didn't work.

If anyone is able to help me past this activation error, that would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Dean

8. soundevolution

soundevolution Member

That sucks.

I would have thought that an installation on the same physical computer, on the same physical hard drive qualified as a single license even if it was run (1) directly and (2) via parallels. :(

9. twoods

twoods Member

See the end of thread;

http://forums.parallels.com/thread12874-2.html

I belive this may be relevant. I use one copy of XP and switch seamlessly betweent BC and VM. The trick is changing the "realtek" VM interface driver to match the real "en0" MAC address.

Also; Taken from VMware Forum is seems memory thresholds can trigger it reactivation request too. I give XP 1024mb in VM.

Known Issues
    Product Activation
    The Microsoft Windows XP product activation feature creates a numerical key based on the virtual hardware in the virtual machine where it is installed. Changes in the configuration of the virtual machine might require you to reactivate the operating system. There are some steps you can take to minimize the number of significant changes.

Set the final memory size for your virtual machine before you activate Windows XP. When you cross certain thresholds—approximately 32MB, 64MB, 128MB, 256MB, 512MB and 1GB—the product activation feature sees the changes as significant.

Note The size reported to the Windows product activation feature is slightly less than the actual amount configured for the virtual machine. For example, 128MB is interpreted as falling in the 64MB–127MB range.

Install VMware Tools before you activate Windows XP. When the SVGA driver in the VMware Tools package is installed, it activates features in the virtual graphics adapter that make it appear to Windows XP as a new graphics adapter.

Tim
    --

Last edited: Jun 24, 2007