Do I automatically backup my files on XP when I BU OS X?

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by rudovskypaul, Jun 23, 2007.

1. rudovskypaul

rudovskypaul Bit poster

I am using Chronsync to backup my hard drive...and am backing up the full "Macintosh HD". Will that automatically backup the files on my Parellels XP C and D drives (such as Quicken)? If not do I have top backup the XP files separately?

2. fbronner

fbronner Pro

Actually if your parallel VM is located on your macintosh HD, then YES you are backing up also all of the files contained within your virtual machine.

In case of a VM catastrophe, you could always restore just your VM and in case of a big OS X crash, then you would restore everything including your VM.

You are doing the right thing, just make sure you keep those backups up to date.

3. dkp

dkp Forum Maven

If you are not running Boot Camp then your entire virtual machine is being backed up. The only way to restore a particular file in the VM is to restore the entire VM from an earlier version or, so I'm told, mount the earlier version as a second virtual disk drive and then copy the file of interest from within it to your running VM. This is something I've been meaning to try as I have an older version of an application that is in a zip file on a VM backup that I'd like to put onto the current VM.

4. rudovskypaul

rudovskypaul Bit poster

FBronner--

This may sound like a dumb question...but given that i did a standard install of Parellels 3.0 and Windows XP w SP2, then am I correct in assuming that the files on my virtual C and D drive partitions are within my Macintosh HD? Thanks.

Paul

5. nycruza

nycruza Hunter

The key word being VIRTUAL - YES they reside on the Mac HD.

ajm