OneNote needs a password

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by UffeTJ, Mar 28, 2013.

1. UffeTJ

UffeTJ Bit poster

I'm running Parallels 8 and Windows 8 and Office 13. I have this problem "OneNote needs a password to sync this notebook. Click here to enter you password". But it is not possible to enter the password. OneNote is still not syncing.
    One way of temporarily resolve this is to remove the Office 15 entry under "manage windows credential". Then the syncing works a s long as I don't power down the computer. But is there a more permanent work around for this problem? It would be nice not having to remove this entry in windows credentials each day I start my work.

2. Howard33

Howard33 Bit poster

Preventing loss of password on power down

I haven't found a satisfactory fix yet but if you close OneNote before power down or sleep, it will come up without a password error. It's still a pain but a lesser one.

3. HowardJ

HowardJ Bit poster

The Solution

I've been playing with this frustration for awhile now. Figured it had to do with credentials not set up correctly under Parallels. I noticed that when I clicked EDIT instead of REMOVE, my Microsoft Account userid was not listed as part of the credential. So, I updated my MicrosoftOffice credential and voila! Anyway...

To solve this problem and avoid repeated use of credentials manager or shutting down OneNote before each sleep or shutdown event:

1. Open up Windows Credentials Manager (accessible from control panel or directly)...
    2. Windows Credentials >> Generic Credentials >> "MicrosoftOffice15_data...
    3. Edit that credential by adding your Microsoft account (the one used for Office programs) using your correct userid and password...

Now, OneNote will recall your correct account whenever you start it and should not ask for a password. I presume this will also work for any other Microsoft Office program however I haven't tested that exhaustively.

4. HowardJ

HowardJ Bit poster

Well, it worked for a couple of days -- through many sleep cycles -- and then requested the password again. Not sure what I did differently. Maybe it's haunted.