Parallels 9 "Human Interface Devices" constant device disconnect/rediscovery

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by MrT0ad, Aug 29, 2013.

1. MrT0ad

MrT0ad Bit poster

Hi beautiful people:

I have just upgraded an iMac Mid 2010 running OS X 10.7 Server from Parallels 8 to 9.

The Win7 x86 Boot Camp partition was mounting fine on Parallels 8 and everything was functional, but since the upgrade the "Human Interface Devices" category is constantly dropping one of the devices, then rediscovering it, only to drop it again straight away.

The "offending" device IDs seems to be USB\VID_203A&PID_FFFB which a quick Google returns as pertaining the device "Virtual Keyboard".

I have unplugged every external USB device (including the keyboard) but it makes no difference... the infinite loop carries on.

Any suggestions beyond downgrading?

2. Virtual Keyboard can be disabled using the following boot flag (Virtual Machine -> Configure -> Hardware -> Boot Order -> Boot flags) devices.usb.keyboard=0 but I fear that the problem can be deeper.

Can you pls generate a problem report and send us its number immediately during the loop (Help -> Report a problem)

3. MrT0ad

MrT0ad Bit poster

Thank you for the reply Denis.

I will do as soon as my shift is finished... it was silly of me to do a major upgrade on a production machine during work time.

I have quickly downgraded to Parallels 8 and I will retake this in the evening.

4. hgerry

hgerry Junior Member

I'm experiencing similar behavior. I've had to turn off the sound because of the annoying beep, etc. I'm running Windows 8.1. I've opened up Device Manager and it continues to reload every second or so.

The HID node will appear and disappear.

I've also expanded the "Mice and other pointing devices" note and it has 1 or 3 devices listed each time it loads--"Parallels Mouse Sync.. Device" or that plus "HID-Compliant mouse" and "Parallels USB Mouse Sync.. Device".

Which might explain why the mouse is very non-responsive. My hardware is a rMBP with an external blue-tooth trackpad.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2013
  5. MrT0ad

MrT0ad Bit poster

I too have a Magic Trackpad connected, but I did un-pair it and connect a regular mouse and it made no difference.

6. :( anyway, we need a problem report to understand what is going on...

I have only 2 suggestions at the moment.
    - turn off USB 3.0 controller in VM configuration if you have it enabled
    - turn off shared USB camera
    - turn off shared Bluetooth

Both checks are available in Virtual Machine -> Configure -> USB & Bluetooth and should be removed on stopped VM.

If this helps, could you add options one-by-one to give us advice what subsystem is wrong.

Anyway, we are very sorry and trying to reproduce the problem locally in our lab.

Thank you in advance.

7. hgerry

hgerry Junior Member

I turned off USB 3 support but it makes no difference. I did not have automatic sharing of Web Camera or Bluetooth devices turned on so there was nothing to change.

8. hgerry

hgerry Junior Member

One difference on my configuration from MrT0ad is I'm running Mavericks DP6. I know you'll say that is unreleased but given P9 advertises support for Mavericks and this all worked fine yesterday with P8 I'd expect this to work as well.

Another weird thing is after installing P9 and rebooting I've now lost my OSX dock (doesn't show in any configuration, side, bottom, etc.). Fortunately I can still launch apps, etc. but it is a pain nevertheless.

Gerry

9. JDThird

JDThird Bit poster

I have the issue as well, with both XP Pro and a Windows 7 Ultimate VMs.

In my case bluetooth and USB 3 were already disabled, so disabling the camera looks to have stopped the problem in XP, but in Windows 7 even with all three disabled, it still is a non stop soundfest of the device unplugged sound and the device plugged in sound...

10. DenisO

DenisO Parallels Developers

First, try Apple + Option + D keyboard shortcut to hide/unhide the dock.
    Also you can try to restart dock with command:
    killall -KILL Dock

11. OneMHz

OneMHz Bit poster

I just upgraded to Parallels 9 too. Running Windows 7 (Pro x64) off a boot camp partition, I'm getting the three Human Interface Devices connecting and disconnecting constantly. They all just show up as USB Input Device, and none of the hardware details seem to provide anything further. They all say USB\VID_203A&PID_FFFC&REV_0100&MI_01. USB 3.0, web cam and bluetooth are all disabled in the configuration. Mouse and keyboard are set to "don't optimize for games".

Anything else I can provide (logs or something) that might help pinpoint something?

Edit: Just noticed something else. Under Universal Serial Bus Controllers, I see some more devices appearing and disappearing. Generic USB Hub, USB Composite Device and USB Printing Support. When the Generic USB Hub is in the device list, the General tab shows it as working, but the Power tab shows it as not working. Going into the power management tab and unchecking the box to let Windows shut it down to save power didn't have an effect.

12. hgerry

hgerry Junior Member

Thanks--that fixed the dock issue.

I've submitted a problem report as well: 28091647

13. FNB_IT

FNB_IT Bit poster

I just upgraded from Parallels 8 to 9 and I am also having the same repetitive disconnect/reconnect issue in my Windows 7 Pro 64-bit VM. In the Devices and Printers area, the Virtual Mouse and Virtual Keyboard are continuously disappearing and reappearing in the list. This has continued through VM reboots and a reboot of my Mac as well. Thanks!

Hardware: 2011 15" MacBook Pro w/ OS X 10.8.4, Apple Wireless Keyboard, Apple Magic Mouse, Dell U2713HM Monitor

14. hgerry

hgerry Junior Member

Give the number of posts already on this it surprises me that such a major show stopper bug made it through QA to release.

- Gerry

15. FNB_IT

FNB_IT Bit poster

FWIW, I also reinstalled the Parallels Tools (which didn't help).

16. mikeruoc

mikeruoc Member

UGH this is very frustrating. I am also having this issue. Windows 8 VM on iMac running 10.8.4. My own fault I have been burned many times with new release by Parallels yet like a bug to a bug zapper I install them without waiting. Time to downgrade until they figure this out.

17. FNB_IT

FNB_IT Bit poster

I also already had everything turned off that was suggested. Thanks!

18. focalrecursion

focalrecursion Bit poster

Same problem occurring here with a 2011 iMac running Win8 VM, submitted a report with ID 28093832.

Tried disabling everything but the problem seems to continue.

Looks like I will need to downgrade until this gets fixed.

19. metro_88

metro_88 Bit poster

Hi All,

Same here as well on a 2013 MacBook Air with just-upgraded Parallels 9. Constant device discovery/disconnection. Mac OS 10.8 and Windows 7 SP1 64-bit.

20. OderWat

OderWat Bit poster

Same here... late 2012 iMac with Bootcam (as Partition) in Win 7 64 Bit. Nothing I tried helped to get rid of that problem (deinstalling / reinstalling of parallels and windows drivers)