Parallels Control Center is incorrectly locking my .pri files

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by Paul Batum, Nov 28, 2012.

1. Paul Batum

Paul Batum Bit poster

When developing Windows 8 applications, a resources.pri file is created and updated. My problem is that prl_cc.exe is locking this file for no apparent reason, which causes my build in Visual Studio to fail.

[​IMG]

This also causes me problems when I attempt to switch branches in git because it tries to delete the file and fails.

I have been forced to constantly kill the prl_cc.exe process just so that I can get my work done. This is extremely frustrating. Please help.

I'm on Build 8.0.18345 (Revision 820589; November 25, 2012) with the latest tools installed.

Paul

Last edited: Nov 28, 2012
  2. YanivK

YanivK Bit poster

This also happens to me

I develop with Microsoft Visual Studio and every time I change something in the project, the pro file is locked by parallels control center and I have to sign out and sign back in so I can build my project. FRUSTRATING!
    I use Parallels 8.

3. Paul Batum

Paul Batum Bit poster

Hi Yaniv,

I raised a issue with Parallels support. The .pri files are being locked because of the feature that shares guest applications with the host OS. As a workaround, I disabled the app sharing feature. I suggest you try this. I have requested that Parallels implement a better solution.

Paul

4. YanivK

YanivK Bit poster

Thanks Paul, your work around worked like a charm :)

5. CleverCoder

CleverCoder Bit poster

Holy cow!! Once I tracked down par_cc.exe to Parallels, I found this thread. I'm trying to build some Windows8 RT apps and there are a TON of resources.pri files that are locked. What a big OOPS! It's preventing my code from running!!! Going to try the workaround. I assume they know of the issue. I might send them a nudge.

6. SpuriousTuple

SpuriousTuple Bit poster

I can also confirm this bug and workaround. I'm using Parallels Desktop 8 Build 8.0.18483 to run Windows 8 and develop Windows 8 apps with Visual Studio 2012.

Parallels, please fix this bug. It's very annoying.

Thank you.

7. BradyW

BradyW Bit poster

I'm having the same problem and I've filed a support request. They threw a few workarounds at me and sort of acknowledged it as a bug.

8. AdrianoN

AdrianoN Bit poster

I'm having this issue as well...

9. cadams

cadams Bit poster

Hi,
    I created an account just to mention this problem also.
    It is incredibly annoying to have this happening all the time, and the workaround takes away one of the features that differentiates Parallels from the free VirtualBox!

I suppose I'll go file a support request.. sigh...

10. GaryGJ

GaryGJ Bit poster

I'm also having this issue. It really stinks not being able to properly use Coherence when doing Win 8 dev.

11. endquotedotcom

endquotedotcom Bit poster

+1. Subscribing to this thread in case a proper fix is made.

12. endquotedotcom

I installed Parallels 9 and it looks like maybe this is fixed...

13. endquotedotcom

Also if you turn on "Windows 7 Look" to install "Modern Mix", your Windows 8 app will run in a Window instead of full-screen. So now you can develop with Coherence on without popping into OS X full screen all the time. Pretty slick!