Mavericks DP6 breaks USB

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by Thanner, Aug 21, 2013.

1. Brockpinder

Brockpinder Bit poster

Thanks, installed and now installing Parallels Tools in my VMs.. I can already see my USB devices coming online.. Smartcard Reader, Polycom for LiveMeetings and my USB Backup drives for my VM data backup (very important since I could not get to it..).

Much appreciated.

2. drgaryk

drgaryk Member

I restarted my mac, launched Parallels and then started my VM's and I see no such upgrade offer. I thought version 9 was to be released next Thursday?

So...are they telling us that you must buy version 9 to get USB devices to work in Mavericks? I guess so...

3. Brockpinder

Brockpinder Bit poster

Just google search it.. I'm not sure they are telling you to upgrade. In fact we've seen nothing from Parallels at all. But it does work, at a cost..

4. beta_mikecwest

beta_mikecwest Member

I purchased PD8 in July. No upgrade for me. :( I submitted an upgrade request anyway, lets hope Parallels is nice, and gives me the upgrade. I think that august 15 is too short of an upgrade time. It mentions something about purchasing an upgrade guarantee, but I don't remember seeing that anywhere when I purchased.

5. SamuelAu

SamuelAu Bit poster

Is there anyway I can get a hold of version 9 before next week? (take my money pls)... I hate booting into bootcamp for another week.. cry...

*** edit *** Found the offer just now.. upgrading...

Last edited: Aug 29, 2013
  6. Thanner

Thanner Bit poster

7. Same here - but it seems a parallels issue … I can no longer mount up my external Mavericks USB drive to a VM under Parallels 9

8. Not for me … P9 and DP6

9. drgaryk

drgaryk Member

Folks....please approach with extreme caution.

I purchased and downloaded V9...and it completely hammered my Windows 8 and Windows 8.1 VM's. Windows 7 VM's appears to be OK. Unreal....spend $50 and get bigger problems than USB...very unhappy. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling V9 tools, etc. No good on Windows 8.

10. Thanner

Thanner Bit poster

Upgraded to Parallels 9

Arduino Mega 2660 works on USB

FTDI Serial port comes, goes, comes, goes. This needs work

So, while there is progress, it's not completely fixed.

Windows 7 64Bit + Parallels 9

11. SamuelAu

SamuelAu Bit poster

Generic USB hub seems to be crashing and restarting endlessly.... urgh...

12. Palladion

Palladion Bit poster

It works, but sometimes it is a bit odd - if i assign a new usb device to my VM directly via the pop up dialogue, it is registered as USB-device under the menu "Devices - USB", but I sometimes can't see it in the explorer - however if I deselect it under "Devices - USB" it then shows up in the Explorer. Strange behavior but consistent and I get my USB-devices to connect. Just give it a try. I tested it with a USB Stick and HD.

13. drgaryk

drgaryk Member

I don't even have a "Devices - USB" selection under the Devices menu...mine says "External Devices"...

14. Palladion

Palladion Bit poster

I have the german version - so I translated it (wrongly it seems). So "External devices" should be, where you can attach and detach USB devices.

15. Palladion

Palladion Bit poster

What do you mean with hammered?

I have Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 8.1, Windows Server 2012 Standard and Mac OS X Mountain Lion running in VMs and it seems mostly stable (still some odd behavior - see above - with USB, but nothing serious).

16. drgaryk

drgaryk Member

I mean the Windows 8 and Windows 8.1 VM's have the constant Windows "chime" sound of USB devices connecting and disconnecting. This also makes the VM's response time about 90% slower than normal.

I see the USB device icon in the notification area appearing and disappearing constantly with no USB devices attached to the VM at all. I do not see this in my Windows 7 x86 VM...

Last edited: Aug 29, 2013
  17. Palladion

Palladion Bit poster

Hm strange - I don't have this behavior with my Windows 8 VM. Once I have a USB device connected it stays there and CPU usage is around 3%.

Have you restarted and reinstalled the Parallel Tools?

18. drgaryk

drgaryk Member

Yes...i have uninstalled tools...rebooted the VM...then re-installed tools with the same result. I am seeing this exact same behavior on 2 mac's that I upgraded to V9...a MacBook Pro and a Mac Pro.

If I remove the USB controller completely from the VM's config...the Windows 8 and Windows 8.1 VM's start and run normally on both mac's....but there is no possibility of USB device attachment, of course.

19. Palladion

Palladion Bit poster

does it make a difference if you assign the usb device directly to the machine when you insert it compared to assigning it first to the mac and then assigning it to the VM via "External devices" menu?

20. drgaryk

drgaryk Member

I really can't tell...if I boot the Windows 8 or 8.1 VM with the USB Controller present...the machine immediately begins the non-stop USB "chiming" even before the Start Menu/Desktop becomes visible...and then the entire VM machine grinds to a halt. There really is no opportunity to connect a USB device.

I may attempt to build a new Windows 8.1 VM from scratch and see if this occurs.