Mavericks DP6 breaks USB

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by Thanner, Aug 21, 2013.

1. James Rome

James Rome Hunter

I called, and there is a fix

Turn off the VM. edit configuration/hardware/boot order, and add this under flags:
    devices.usb.ehc=0

2. drgaryk

drgaryk Member

James,

Ok...I added the config string...and this does stop the constant USB connect/disconnect, endless USB "chimes", etc.

However, now when I attach a USB device...like a simple thumb-drive...it takes it from the mac side...as expected...and it shows under Devices-External...but does not attach to Windows 8. It indicates "the device cannot start" in the Devices and Printers Panel.

This is exactly the scenario I saw when Mavericks DP6 was installed under Parallels 8. The device appears to be seen by Paralleles but not the guest OS.

Any other ideas?

Thanks...

Last edited: Aug 29, 2013
  3. James Rome

James Rome Hunter

I am using 10.8, not maverick. Use their online chat, and they can take over your computer. Except that the logmein package was corrupt.

4. mucked

mucked Bit poster

my rainbow usb works again on parallels 9 + dp6.

but they brought their super fast mouse problem they introduced with their last 8 update.

no choice but back to fusion for me.

5. Thanner

Thanner Bit poster

Well this solved my problems ... the FTDI is now happy as well.

What does this flag do?

6. beta_mikecwest

beta_mikecwest Member

Is device a Camcorder, or some other device with a camera attached? If so, you can correct this odd behavior by choosing VIRTUAL MACHINES>CONFIGURE>USB&BLUETOOTH, uncheck the Automatic Sharing:WEBCAMERAS

In my virtual machine, I need it to NOT show up as a network device. I assume most people's cases, it does not matter, but in my case it does.

7. drgaryk

drgaryk Member

Just an update...I reloaded my system with 10.8.4...then installed Parallels V9...and the USB issue is there as well on all Windows 8/8.1 VM's, so this is not only a Mavericks issue. I even did a fresh VM build of Windows 8 and the problem is there.

I see this same issue now in many other support threads...and the Parallels support team has acknowledged it and say they need to get fixes out for V9 ASAP. I would highly advise folks to be very cautious installing this on any production system. How this blatant of an error was not caught in QA in beyond me.

8. Thanner

Thanner Bit poster

Well, they could have been a week ahead in fixing this if they had responded to this thread ...

I tried to post a bug report, but their system kept redirecting me to a useless FAQ about Mavericks instead of allowing me to file a report. I wonder how much other feedback they missed ...

9. EkapolT

EkapolT Junior Member

Parallels Team,
    Please fix this ASAP. I suffer a lot on this bug. I need my NTFS USB disk working as it should be. I don't want to use Mac hidden NTFS write support nor 3rd party driver.

10. drgaryk

drgaryk Member

Just an update...

USB functionality remains broken in Parallels v8 on 10.9 DP7 & Parallels v9 on 10.9 DP7.

Tomorrow is the general release of v9? Man...there will be lots of unhappy campers...

Last edited: Sep 4, 2013
  11. Kcspaceman

Kcspaceman Bit poster

I'm one of the 2560+ views on this thread, and thought I'd finally post. I'm still seeing this problem in 10.9DP7 with PD8, and I depend on USB functionality in Parallels for some key tasks at my job. Things are going to get urgent eventually, so I'll keep checking the forums here for a fix.

12. drgaryk

drgaryk Member

I feel your pain. v9 USB functionality does not work on 10.8.4 either.

So...tomorrow...if they make v9 generally available without a patch...the "stuff will hit the fan" for sure...

According to other support threads...there is a race condition created for USB 2 devices in v9...I would hope a patch is very close by now.

13. Thanner

Thanner Bit poster

Did you add the boot flag to the VM?

devices.usb.ehc=0

Fixed the problem for my hardware ...

14. drgaryk

drgaryk Member

Yes...i added the disable USB 2 flag...which does stop the constant connect and disconnect Windows "chimes"...however, with this flag, none of my USB devices successfully connect to my VM's. I tried USB flash drives, standard USB external drives...none of them are available to the VM.

So...this is not a workaround for me, at least.

15. Kcspaceman

Kcspaceman Bit poster

I tried this, and I'm still getting the same error.

[​IMG]

Thanks though! I'll keep an eye on how things develop.

16. Geoffw1oh

Geoffw1oh Bit poster

Same USB issues here - is there an easy way to go back to version 8?

17. drgaryk

drgaryk Member

Well...Before installing new versions of Parallels tools etc., to any VM I ALWAYS backup my VM's using a marvelous tool called QRecall. I also use Carbon Copy Cloner to make an image of my system partition before upgrading to Parallels v9.

So...my recovery was actually easy...I simply restored my system partition from the image created by Carbon Copy...and then restored all my VM's from the QRecall archive. This completely removes any components involved with both the Host and Guest upgrades 100%.

This is just standard procedure for me since I learned the hard way in years past to be very cautious of these new versions.

18. drgaryk

drgaryk Member

New version of v9 just released!!!!!

19. drgaryk

drgaryk Member

The new version has solved all USB issues for me!!!! It works great on 10.9 DP7.

The new build number is 9.0.23046...with a September 4, 2013 update date.

20. bohannjn

bohannjn Bit poster

Same result for me. Installed the update, removed the Boot Order flag and life is good again.