desktop resolution

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by John Fonseca, Aug 28, 2013.

1. John Fonseca

John Fonseca Bit poster

Interesting app and it's nice that it's free.

Is there a way on the Mac to make it not resize the desktop resolution and the application windows?

When I come out of using the iPad app everything that was open previously resized much smaller and stacked up in the corner. I didn't see any settings that related to this.

2. Bung55

Bung55 Bit poster

Not sure about your question - I somehow doubt it - and anyway you can't use both at the same time (not practically anyway!).

But:
    I'm afraid it is not free - but after you install it, there is a 90 day evaluation period!

Dave

3. John Fonseca

John Fonseca Bit poster

Yes, thanks. I'm aware I won't be using both at the same time.

What I would like is for my desktop to not be a wreck after I've used it. Even if all I do is connect to the host computer (without actually running a desktop app), when I go back to it every window that was previously opened is now small and in the upper left hand corner of the desktop. This includes an app I always have running full screen on a second display. It ends up small and on the primary display.

Regarding the 90 day trial, when I did the activation it said it was good for a year and they didn't ask me for any money. That seems free!

4. lotw

lotw Product Expert

The screen resolution has a problem, it drops your screen down to 1024x768. After disconnecting the app from the Mac it doesn't reset the resolution correctly. In my case I use a HDTV running at 1080p. When I exit it selects Best For Display, which doesn't work.

If you want to increase the resolution for your iPad (instead of that 1024x768) you can go to system preferences, then select display and set what you want when connected with the app. (if you still have the problem after exit bug you still will)

5. John Fonseca

John Fonseca Bit poster

That makes sense. I hope that they'll implement a switch that allows for the desktop resolution to be the boss and for the ipad to follow that. With my TB Display set back to native (2560x1440) of course everything's smaller on the ipad but the magnifier function well compensates.

I was expecting this to behave more like RDP and VNC.

Thanks.

I'm going to file a feature request on this.

6. lotw

lotw Product Expert

Me too, especially after I ran some performance testing.

7. richlove

richlove Bit poster

Yes, I agree. Unfortunately this makes Parallels Access completely unuseable for me. And I cannot recommend it to my clients until this is fixed.

8. lotw

lotw Product Expert

It does kind of mess up your finder setting, cause window size changes when logging in over PA. Won't be so much an issue when tabbed finder comes in OSX 10.9. For now PA is broken. Maybe they will address is issues and make it useable for most people, not sure if it will ever work for me.

9. John Fonseca

John Fonseca Bit poster

Yeah, I'm done with it, too. Yesterday I was playing with it to see if it was better with only one display connected. I had previously noticed it turns mirroring on for the 2nd monitor which prevents Parallels Desktop from going into Coherence mode. When I went back to normal desktop mode I had to reboot my machine in order to get scrolling on the touchpad working again.

I've tried really hard to get this product to work for me, but I can't.

It's my understanding that Access is out of beta and this is now production. I think it should go back because it seems like it has some fundamental problems that should have been resolved before it got to this point.

10. lotw

lotw Product Expert

I think they need better beta testers, or maybe this is the way they beta test their software. As I have said before on other sites, companies seem to no longer care what their customers want or how to talk to them.

PA is a good idea, poorly planned and buggy.