Parallels 9 is a step backward -- No access to VM from iPhone -- Feel ripped off

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by amutti, Aug 30, 2013.

1. amutti

amutti Bit poster

What's up with breaking access to my VMs from my iPhone? Yeah, Parallels Access is "better" if you want to use an iPad (except the whole subscription thing), but it's not supported on the iPhone. I may just reinstall Parallels 8. When you remove a feature it should be clearly noted somewhere.

2. lotw

lotw Product Expert

I ran tests and Parallels Access actually uses more resources on your computer making the VM or real machine run slightly slower then their old Mobile app. In fact my testing with Cinebench on my Mac and on Windows 8 (VM in Parallels 8) showed that both ran faster then Parallels Access talking to the Mac in Native mode running that benchmark program. I was shocked to see the VM beat the real machine when using PA.

3. Simba Cub

Simba Cub Member

I too feel a bit cheated. No discernible speed increase (in the latest Ubuntu branch or Deepin) and Haiku still doesn't work. I dropped all that money for no advantage insofar as my using experience goes.

Rich::

4. lotw

lotw Product Expert

I am glad I didn't rush out and get the new version yet, like I normally do (I have been using PD since 5). I access my VM with my phone more than I do with the iPad. They know that a lot of people use the phone more than the iPad too. Has anyone tested to see if the Parallels Mobile app fails to connect to PD9?

5. QuentinR

QuentinR Bit poster

There isn't even a "Mobile" preferences tab to connect for mobile. Steer clear of 9.

6. lotw

lotw Product Expert

Thanks for that info, guess I am not going to upgrade to 9 then. Parallels needs to be careful, if their competition starts listening and making apps for phone and tablets they will loose their customers.

7. amutti

amutti Bit poster

The parallels mobile app doesn't connect with v.9. It also appears the app has been removed from the app store. . . and this confirms it

http://www.parallels.com/products/mobile/

8. lotw

lotw Product Expert

Well good way to keep your customers happy, remove functionality when ther are other cheaper options

9. Tkljr48

Tkljr48 Bit poster

I "upgraded" to Parallels 9 and can still get to my W8 VM with Parallels Mobile on my local network but can't get to the host Mac or access anything remotely. Definitely annoyed that a previous feature has been removed. I like some of the features of Parallels Access and would have been less annoyed if it was included or had a reasonable one time purchase fee but there is no way I'm going to purchase a subscription.

10. QuentinR

QuentinR Bit poster

I've even tried restoring from time machine backup to a time before the "upgrade" and PM still does not work.

11. lotw

lotw Product Expert

My problems with Access is more of buggy, no phone version, and should be either free with purchase of Parallels Desktop or the subscription should include Parallels Desktop.

I have tested access and the app the killed, since for me I am lucky and both still work. If I had to choose between PA and the free alternatives that require a little more work to get running when not at home, I would right now choose the harder VNC or RPN method.

I don't care about streaming audio or video, have an app I can connect to computer and download the file or other free streaming apps if I want that work way better.

12. tgilles

tgilles Bit poster

Parallels is getting greedy. OK, a one time cost.. I can get that.. but they freaking don't host anything for this, or shouldn't have to.. subscription? wow..

With the removal of the old app, it's definitely a move toward a money grab. While all companies exist to make money.. this was done in a very bad way. Explaining why someone should pay a money fee for something that was basically included is something I'm not even remotely interested in.

An now I have to see this SPAM when running Parallels telling me I need Parallels Access? god.. crap ware hell now.

13. lotw

lotw Product Expert

Like I said if that yearly fee included Parallels Desktop I wouldn't mind so much, but they need to support the phone, like they used to. Parallels Access should not be installed by default and needs an un-install program, since it is a very messy install.

I am going to wait and see, if things don't get fixed or get worse, they lost me as a customer. Their are alternatives that work the same or better for some things that are cheap or even free.