WinXP install error mystery: regsvr32.exe

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by jeremydouglass, Jun 24, 2007.

1. jeremydouglass

jeremydouglass Bit poster

I'm installing a WindowsXP Professional SP1a CD into the Parallels Desktop 3.0 (4128) trial. My machine is a Macbook Pro 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo running OS X 10.4.10.

Installation proceeded normally until the actual Windows install wizard, step 4/5 (Installing Windows), which displayed one error box, as follows:

regsvr32.exe - Application Error:
    The instruction at "0x77f51d24" referenced memory at "0x00000000".
    The memory could not be "written".
    Click on OK to terminate the program

Clicking OK left the installer to complete and Windows XP to boot normally. Still, I'm concerned: what was this error, and do I need to scrap the install and start over somehow?

I found one other thread in this forum (closed) that mentioned the error, here: http://forum.parallels.com/showthread.php?t=12089

Any advice appreciated.

2. mmischke

mmischke Hunter

Unfortunately Windows didn't mention which library regsvr32 wasn't able to register. If it had, you'd be able to boot up, manually register it and be good to go. I've seen this scenario a few times, although never yet when installing under Parallels. Sometimes a fresh reinstall does the trick. Sometimes it's due to a bad CD. Either way, I'd be hesitant to use an installation that tossed errors. They have a nasty habit of causing problems down the road at the most inopportune time.