Really don't appreciate the Parallels Access silent install

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by DigiAngel, Sep 2, 2013.

1. DigiAngel

DigiAngel Bit poster

I'm not going to use the the lame attempt at this "service". What's the best method to uninstall this app that I won't use? And please don't tell me "just drag to the trash". I expected better from you Parallels...

2. Mike Boreham

Mike Boreham Pro

I agree.

At first I thought Parallels Access was an integral part of PD9, then I realised it was really a completely separate app which I didn't think I was interested in. Spent some time and failing to find a way of preventing it starting up every boot.

However I was quite interested when I found out what it actually does, since I use Logmein occasionally.

Then I found out it is going to cost £50+ per annum per machine, and I am only running a trial version.

Something very sneaky about all this.

I am going to leave it on for my six months free trial in the hope that the outcry at the ridiculous price has some effect. If it doesn't I will uninstall it.

PS Shouldn't Parallels Access have a separate forum ?

Last edited: Sep 2, 2013
  3. JPearn

JPearn Member

Drag it to the trash seems to be the easiest option ;)

4. hardcode

hardcode Bit poster

Like the one in Forum > Desktop Virtualization Products Discussion > Parallels Access ? ;)

5. yobyot

yobyot Bit poster

Completely agree -- and combined with the disastrous PD9 hardware constantly refreshing issues and the annoying in-product advertising, Parallels is distinguishing itself as a customer-unfriendly company.

I've been using Fusion to run my Linux VMs -- maybe I'll just stick with that for all my VMs.

6. Mike Boreham

Mike Boreham Pro

That'll do nicely! Thanks.

7. lotw

lotw Product Expert

Wrong, that won't get ride of all the hidden files it places in several places on your machine.

8. Mike Boreham

Mike Boreham Pro

On one machine I found two files in LaunchDaemons, two files in LaunchAgents, one file in usr/bin and four user pref files, with the help of this thread:

http://forum.parallels.com/showthread.php?290358-Uninstalling-Parallels-Access

There were fewer prefs files on the second machine because I never used PA.

9. lotw

lotw Product Expert

As we have said in those other threads, we should have an uninstall app for PA and it shouldn't be bundled with PD. PD should be free with your year subscription to PA, since PA is a limited use app.

10. Mike Boreham

Mike Boreham Pro

Absolutely!

11. EllwoodN

EllwoodN Hunter

I agree with all else, Parallels Access should be an optional install!
    I have no iPad or any other need to connect remotely.

Parallels must post a complete uninstall procedure and immediately
    update the installer to make Access an optional or separate install!!!!!!!!

Also, an apology for the inconvenience would also be nice.

12. Andrew@Parallels

Andrew@Parallels Parallels Team

Thanks for your feedback. We submitted the feature request to the development team and will update this thread when we have more news.

13. PragmaticReviteer

PragmaticReviteer Junior Member

You might also want to know that until this is fixed there are going to be people like me who will NOT upgrade. I am already sick as !@$# of advertising in a product I paid good money for. So I have one foot headed for the VMWare door already. Fixing this idiotic decision, explaining how it happened (marketing making engineering decisions perhaps?) and how Parallels is ensuring something similar will never happen again, should be seen as a MINIMUM effort. Will be interesting to see how seriously this gets taken.
    In the meantime, VMWare is downloading now. I like that their download offers the option NOT to include the 1 year access to anti-virus. That's how it should be done.

Gordon

14. EllwoodN

EllwoodN Hunter

That is all fine and good but what about instructions for a complete uninstall.
    Surely you know what is where and how to remove it now.

15. sparker

sparker Member

Installing Parallels 9 installs Parallels Access without asking?!?!?

How can I get rid of "Parallels access". I do not want this functionality installed on my computer.

I cannot find a way to get rid of it, or to turn it off at startup. If I quit it from the new menu bar icon it put on my machine, it comes back when I reboot.

I'm kind of surprised you'd install software I didn't want without asking...

How do I make it go away

16. KeithL

KeithL Member

Quit out of it, go to your Applications folder, and drag it to the trash.

17. sparker

sparker Member

Thanks Keith. I'm a little concerned that it's going to be leaving something behind. Although it shows up as an "application" it's autostarting somehow, and it's not from my accounts "Login Items". I don't know how it's starting up. But getting rid of the application is a good start... :)

Can anybody from Parallels confirm the "right" way to uninstall this application?

Thanks!

Steve

18. Mike Boreham

Mike Boreham Pro

Have a look at this thread http://forum.parallels.com/showthread.php?290358-Uninstalling-Parallels-Access

Yes simply dragging the app to trash leaves a lot of stuff behind, and yes this is disgraceful behaviour by Parallels. there are a lot of similar threads dotted around.

19. Andrew@Parallels

Andrew@Parallels Parallels Team

Parallels appreciates and listens to customer feedback. Parallels plans to release a hot fix update for Parallels Desktop 9 for Mac next week which will improve the registration process to give the customer a choice to install Parallels Access upon initial installation of Parallels Desktop 9. In the event that the customer doesn't want to install at that time, they can easily do so from within Parallels Desktop 9 from the Preferences menu where it will be displayed as an option. In the meantime, you can uninstall Parallels Access Agent as suggested at http://kb.parallels.com/en/117142

20. lotw

lotw Product Expert

Do you even read the forum?. That doesn't uninstall the app, there are several files that are installed in different places that remain if you do that. And what about the people who just downloaded PA without getting PD9?