Parallels 9 - How do I get the Windows Task Bar to appear above the Dock?

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by Greenwood Digital, Aug 30, 2013.

1. Greenwood Digital

Greenwood Digital Member

I just upgraded from Parallels 8 to 9. For some reason it is placing the Windows Task Bar underneath the Dock. I had it configured in Parallels 8 to appear above, or over, the Dock. I cannot find any settings to change this back. Any suggestions?

I should note that this is in Coherence.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2013
  2. peppy

peppy Junior Member

I just upgraded and have the same problem. I'm glad I tried 9 on my personal machine. I will hold off upgrading clients. Additionally I can't get the Parallels menu bar when in Coherence. That means that if I select removal of the task bar then I can't get it back without knowing that holding OPTION and then clicking the Parallels top line icon will get me the menu I need.

3. cschwartz

cschwartz Bit poster

I just upgraded from Parallels 8 to 9 and had the same problem. I spent a long time in chat with tech support and they were not able to fix it. They are going to escalate it to the next level. I think it is a software bug.

4. Neilmw1

Neilmw1 Bit poster

Same problem here. I sat on a remote session with support today, they were unable to fix it on two virtual machines. It has been escalated up to the next level.

5. Andrew@Parallels

Andrew@Parallels Parallels Team

Hi everyone,
    The TaskBar in Coherence appears below the Dock on purpose. This is not a bug or anything - Parallels Desktop 9 has been designed this way.
    The reason to that is better support for full screen apps and Windows 8.

6. Neilmw1

Neilmw1 Bit poster

Could this have not been set to be an option for Windows 8 only? I'm going to have to reinstall Parallels 8 now as this is completely unworkable. I have to display the windows task bar as the flashing icon notifications in Windows 7 and 8 do not bounce the Mac dock icons in coherence (reported as an issue in Parallels 7). This is a big step backwards.

7. Andrew@Parallels

Andrew@Parallels Parallels Team

You actually tune it with http://kb.parallels.com/117062 in Parallels Desktop 9.

8. IanWebb

IanWebb Bit poster

Nope, not acceptable. Please reinstate the above dock option in coherence. Parallels should work with me and improve my workflow - not force me to change my working methods to fit in with the way that you think it should be done.

I've noticed that coherence has been less and less effective since v6 - are Parallels trying to make it unusable so we won't complain if it gets dropped in v10?

9. Neilmw1

Neilmw1 Bit poster

An observation on this. I've just noticed if I maximize an application in Coherence, the top bar of the application is clipped off and hidden behind the Mac menu bar. I can no longer minimize or restore an application, or see the windows title bar for that application. I can't use the full screen mode option either- the whole point of using coherence is I need things side by side/to work on a number of things at once. I agree with the previous post, you need to put the above dock option back otherwise this is completely useless.

10. Greenwood Digital

Greenwood Digital Member

I started this thread so I'd like to chime in. This functional change, to me, is a bug or a very poor UI decision. I do not hide my dock and came to appreciate the Windows Task Bar appearing above the dock. It was accessible and very functional.

I think there should be a checkbox to allow the behavior (task on top of dock) for those Windows 7 users who use Coherence in this way. Otherwise, the UI change "breaks" Coherence. This is an upgrade I cannot recommend to my clients as a result. The KB article above is not a solution for me. I don't hide my dock for a reason.

Unfortunately, I will be downgrading back to Parallels 8 and will strongly recommend to my clients that they avoid upgrading to Parallels 9. This is a disappointing deal-breaker.

11. TheKrzyk

TheKrzyk Bit poster

Glad someone mentioned that! It's one of the most irritating "features" of PD9. I bet this also was a "design decission". Coherence mode is no longer as usable and as seamless experience in PD9 as it was in PD8.

12. strells

strells Product Expert

This is very annoying with a Mac dock on the left side of the screen, as I do. With a long dock, like I have, the trash can covers most of the Windows 7 Start menu button! Previously in Coherence, the Windows resolution would adjust itself so it did not collide with the dock on the left side of the screen. This is no longer the case. I think this should be an option.

Steve

13. reedmj

reedmj Member

For my work I keep the XP taskbar at the top, and now that's cut almost completely off by the menu bar.

I won't be buying a copy of PD9 if you can't put this "feature" in... I need it.

14. ceedee

ceedee Bit poster

I totally agree with the opinions stated on this thread. I use Parallels to remote desktop to my work Windows machine and the ability to effectively use Mac apps whilst using remote desktop for work was absolutely key to the way I use the system.

This is a massively retrograde step for anyone who wants to work this way and I will HAVE to downgrade to Parallels 8 because the PD9 solution is completely unworkable.

I work for a software company as a Product Manager and the number one rule is do not change existing behaviour without consulting your users and understanding how it will affect their use of the product. It would appear that someone forgot this golden rule...

15. tomessner

tomessner Bit poster

I agree that this is a seriously bad design choice. I position my taskbar at the top and PD9 makes my Quick Launch icons totally unusable. I find it hard to believe that anyone actually tested this. It took me less than a minute to realize there was a serious problem. After working with tech support and testing various options for 2 weeks, I've had enough - back to PD8 for me.

16. SergeyL

SergeyL Parallels Team

Please check http://kb.parallels.com/en/117062

Last edited: Sep 13, 2013
  17. tomessner

tomessner Bit poster

I can certainly appreciate the theory behind this change to Parallels Desktop 9, however, I am more interested in the practical effects of it. The stated intention of this change is to solve issues that sometimes happen with Windows 8. I use Windows 8 and for me, PD9 makes Coherence mode very inefficient - unworkable. I configure my VM's the way I do, because it allows me to work most efficiently. This change is a huge step backward for me and the reason I downgraded to version 8. I echo the comments of IanWebb: "Parallels should work with me and improve my workflow - not force me to change my working methods to fit in with the way that you think it should be done".

18. Bob888trans

Bob888trans Bit poster

A proper solution needs to be offered by Parallels, not just a workaround

I am having the same problem. In my case, the top of the Windows XP task bar is hidden under the Mac menubar. In addition, Windows apps in coherence open with their menu bars underneath the Mac menu bar making it impossible to resize or move them without a lengthy workaround. All previous versions of Parallels worked fine and did not cause this problem.

The solution offered does not properly reflect the reputation enjoyed by Parallels in the past. If this is the beginning of a trend, it might be time to switch to Fusion!!

19. elektrobank

elektrobank Bit poster

Totally agree. I came here to post a message about this before seeing this thread. V9 has been nothing but trouble, I've already had their tech login for other issues. I may switch back to Fusion if this continues. This feature makes no sense, and makes it unusable. At least give us the option to change it back. I don't even use Coherence and have this problem when running windows in full screen.

20. cpto

cpto Bit poster

Sorry. This is not a "tuning." It is a workaround for a program that removed functionality many, many user rely on. Had I know of this problem in advance I would never have "upgraded" to version 9.