Is the USB bug fixed in Mavericks DP7?

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by imacken, Sep 4, 2013.

1. imacken

imacken Hunter

Anyone tried it yet?

2. GeoffreyZ

GeoffreyZ Member

No, but someone else reported having this issue with OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion, so I don't think it's limited to Mavericks. I'm waiting for an update to DP9 before installing and am currently running Windows 7 x64 strictly in Boot Camp.

3. drgaryk

drgaryk Member

It is not fixed...Parallels v9 USB support remains broken in both 10.8.4 and 10.9 DP7...

4. imacken

imacken Hunter

Is PD9 some sort of joke? I mean, did no one at Parallels test a USB device? I bought PD9 but haven't installed it yet.

5. drgaryk

drgaryk Member

Just consider yourself lucky for not spending the $50 like I did...I'm sure they will get it fixed...but charging $50 for this as it stands today is nuts...USB connectivity is basic functionality...I can't imagine how this was overlooked.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2013
  6. imacken

imacken Hunter

I did spend the $50 (or £35) - see my previous post #4!

7. drgaryk

drgaryk Member

My apologies...let me amend my statement...just consider yourself lucky that you did not waste time installing it yet...and have to roll-back to v8 as I did...

8. imacken

imacken Hunter

Does this bug affect everyone? I only ask because there doesn't seem to be much fuss here. Just one medium size thread.
    I would have thought that there would have been a lot more activity.

9. Thanner

Thanner Bit poster

I have PD9 running on DP7. So, the DP7 upgrade did not break anything.

However, I also use the boot flag that fixed the USB issue under PD9 and DP6.

devices.usb.ehc=0

Have you tried it it?

10. bohannjn

bohannjn Bit poster

Today's update fixes this problem for me on both Mavericks and Snow Leopard systems.

11. beta_mikecwest

beta_mikecwest Member

I had an issue with a Sony DCR-SX45 & Sony SCR-SX85. I assume the issue would be the same with other similar devices. Not all will be affected by this issue though, and will be fine working in the default setup.

Parallels 9, wants to "share as web camera", leaving the device to show up in the directory as a network device. In this way, you can still access files on the camera from Windows. This should be fine for most, however, in my case, I use a proprietary software. That software conducts a series of "Tests" before allowing me to proceed, amongst other tests like testing for specific applications installed, it checks the Camera device to make sure its not "an internal drive, or network drive." The reason for that, is so that the user is less likely to choose the "wrong device." In most cases, there will not be anyone that really needs to select a network device. As far as I know, there are only a couple of us out there even running a Mac.

The solution was really simple, just untick the box to "share web cameras", and this should work.

I think that box should be unticked by default, as most, if not all Macs running PD9 should have a built in webcam, and I don't see that may would need or desire to use a Sony Camcorder as a webcam. I also did not even try to use it as a webcam, so I don't know if the Sony cameras even support it as one.

As as PD8 goes, USB support is still lost in DP7, and I think that the other USB issues that those with ML are experiencing with PD9 are probably not the issue.

12. Brockpinder

Brockpinder Bit poster

After installing DP6 PD8 would not load any USB devices. Re-installing Tools did nothing. After "purchasing" PD9 and installing all my VM's worked again. After installing DP7 once again my USB devices did not work. This time you could add them to the VM without any errors but they just did not work. As bohannjn mentioned I immediately did the update and all my USB devices work again.. Tnx