Version 3 users: Should the rest of us upgrade?!

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by NJRonbo, Jun 16, 2007.

1. RobW

RobW Junior Member

I got a question:
    Any of you who preordered and asked for the CD instead of the download.... Has your CD arrived? Mine has not. I thought I was first in line!

2. jorn

jorn Bit poster

Given threads like this and Parallels seemingly comatose support department, shelling out more money (as I did) might not be prudent at this point. YMMV.

3. mdf

mdf Junior Member

I would wait and see what the next few updates look like.

Before version 3, I was a huge fan of parallels, everything worked smoothly and each update added great new features that worked. After upgrading to 3, I'm not impressed. I still haven't gotten the tools to cleanly install in XP, and in the best case I'm stuck with a VM that just limps along and can't use most of the features, in the worst case I get a VM that crashes parallels before I can even log in. I haven't heard from their email support, but I'm not exactly holding my breath. So for now I'm stuck using version 2 again, which works great, but I've paid for version 3 and can't even run it.

4. kastorff

kastorff Junior Member

Me too. :)

5. mdf

mdf Junior Member

I just resolved the issue I ran into, for me if anything had funny name in the Applications folder the tools install bombed hard and caused an "unexpectedly quit" dialog. After I cleaned up the directory everything works. While I'm glad it works, it totally reinforces how I feel about this not being release quality. If something like simple string manipulation causes the entire VM and application to crash, how much faith can I really put in the product? Especially as a paid upgrade.