Losing network connection in Windows VM

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by Bruce Brown, Nov 26, 2012.

1. martin@lerchdesign.com

martin@lerchdesign.com Junior Member

Repair N

There is something that has worked for me that you could try. This still does not fix the problem of the virtual machine loosing connectivity, but it will help you get it back without restarting your entire VM. Parallels needs to figure out a fix. I have a MacBook Pro i7 with 16GB RAM and I have it set to never sleep. I even installed a little app called NoSleep for OS X which enables me to configure it to not go to sleep even when the lid is closed. Still, Windows XP virtual machine under the latest version of Parallels (8 I think) is loosing connectivity. My network drives get disconnected and I can't reconnect.

Here is the work around to fix it when I come back in the morning:
    - right click on the Network icon in the bottom right tray (under Windows XP Pro)
    - Select Repair (Network)

After it is done repairing and refreshes IP number it seems to be working again fine. I can connect to all the network drives and it is running. So it is a little work around fix, but not a true fix.

Possibly it has something to do when my computer goes into screen saver mode and it requires a password when you exit the screen saver. Again, my MacBook Pro never goes to sleep. Now I do have it set to put hard disk to sleep whenever possible. Maybe that is causing it. I will try unchecking this and see what happens. I will report back.

Thank you,

Martin