Disable automatic startup?

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by endquotedotcom, Aug 29, 2013.

1. endquotedotcom

endquotedotcom Bit poster

Is there a way to keep the Parallels Access app from starting up automatically with my Mac? I don't see anything for this in its preferences, nor any item in Login Items.

2. MicheleB

MicheleB Bit poster

Same problem... how to disable automatically loading?

3. lotw

lotw Product Expert

Wow, just checked and it is a hidden startup item. It does show up in the /Library/LaunchAgents/ folders, there are two files there. I don't know how to disable easily, except removing them then rebooting, if it will allow that. I have tried stopping PA then ending the task. I will try rebooting and see if it comes up after I did that.

Edit:

Ok, I rebooted and it ran again, but was in off mode.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2013
  4. hardcode

hardcode Bit poster

There's a discussion going on in "Installation and Configuration" here about how to uninstall Parallels Access if anyone is interested, check it put for launchctl commands that MAY stop start-up.

I wish they'd just put a "Do not launch on start-up" preference check box in there, bit of an oversight.

5. nicotoroboto

nicotoroboto Junior Member

Are you guys saying that when you reboot, you have the PA icon on the menu bar already? Or are you looking somewhere else? Mine doesn't do that at all, of course it also doesn't work when I manually launch it. Just looking for clues to my issue. Thanks!

6. hardcode

hardcode Bit poster

On boot I have a Parallels Access menu in the bar, yes.

7. nicotoroboto

nicotoroboto Junior Member

Interesting, mine does not do that. Thank you though!

8. lotw

lotw Product Expert

Ya that icon is their on my machine. Even if I turn it off it auto loads it, which it shouldn't.

9. Hesedel

Hesedel Bit poster

I too, want an option to disable it i from auto-starting when I turn on my computer.

10. Eugene@Parallels

Eugene@Parallels Banned

11. terryharpold

terryharpold Bit poster

Well, that takes me to a page that says, "You can't see internal articles." What now?

12. Eugene@Parallels

Eugene@Parallels Banned

Hi,

Please follow these steps:
    - Launch Terminal (from Applications -> Utilities -> Terminal)
    - Copy and paste into Terminal window the following command:

sudo rm /Library/LaunchAgents/com.parallels.mobile.startgui.launchagent.plist

-Press Return
    -Enter your Mac user password (Note: you will not see it on typing)

13. lotw

lotw Product Expert

Why don't you add the ability to stop it from auto running in the app like others do? Your trying to make PA easier for people but then you do something that isn't easy for some.

14. Erravid

Erravid Bit poster

Thanks!
    Would be great if that could simply be enabled/disabled in Parallels Access.

15. RöntgenpraxisE

RöntgenpraxisE Bit poster

Thank you very much. It works.

It should be easier but this works, at least. Thanks.

16. lotw

lotw Product Expert

You need to look at both library/launchagents and library/launchdaemons as they put stuff in both for access.

17. Kriiii

Kriiii Bit poster

I agree with lots of other users - I just updated to PA9 and getting rid of Parallels Access automatic launcher should be an option in the preferences. Thanks for posting a workaround - please consider this as a serious feature request for a future release - forcing your clients to have applications running they don't use is very bad policy!!

18. lotw

lotw Product Expert

If you remove the 4 launching things PA installs PA won't run at all.

19. Hesedel

Hesedel Bit poster

When will parallels access be updated with a simple checkbox to disable/enable auto startup?

20. Yulia@Parallels

Yulia@Parallels Parallels Team

Thank you for your feedback. We will forward this information to our Development Team as a feature request.