Trouble opening MS Office 2010 Applications from Open With menu in Finder

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by fronsol, Sep 9, 2013.

1. fronsol

fronsol Bit poster

New MacBook Air with Parallels Desktop 9 installed. Then installed Windows 7 Pro followed by MS Office 2010 Plus.

Office works fine and can open files saved on mac from within the applications (such as Word).

The problem is, I cannot open a document from finder even by selecting MS Word 2010 from the Open With menu item. MS Word even shows up as the default application. No errors, it just doesn't do anything.

2. MarcelloS

MarcelloS Bit poster

The same here, Mac Book Air and Parallels Desktop 9, with MS Excel 2007.
    Note that other applications are working, such as "Microsoft Office Picture Manager".
    I also reinstalled Parallels Tools but the problem is still there.
    Please help us!

UPDATE: Probably I found where the problem is. It depends on the position of the file. If the same file is in a different folder, it can be opened correctly. I have seen that the problem is for the files in the Dropbox folder.
    I stopped the Dropbox program (on the Mac) but again it is impossible to open an Excel file.
    After stopping the Dropbox program, I renamed the Dropbox folder and it works!!! The Excel files can be opened in MS Excel 2007 under Windows 7.
    It seems really strange.
    Has Parallels Desktop 9 a problem with Dropbox folders?

Last edited: Sep 10, 2013
  3. MarcelloS

MarcelloS Bit poster

FOUND and SOLVED!

FOUND and SOLVED!
    The problem is in the new feature of Parallels Desktop 9: Shared Cloud.
    I deselected the check box Shared Cloud under the Sharing option of the Configuration Panel of the Windows 7 WM and now the files can be opened!
    For me the Shared Cloud option is unuseful because my Dropbox folder is under my Home folder in Mac therefore is already visible in the WM.
    If you select this new option you will have problems in opening files under the WM.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2013
  4. Fred100

Fred100 Bit poster

Great! This solved it for me too. But, I do not have my folders in "Home" so I would like to used the Shared Cloud feature. Is there a workaround for this? Thanks, MarcelloS for the tip!

5. GarciaLLC

GarciaLLC Bit poster

Thank you, MarceloS! Too bad though, the shared cloud feature was one of the things I was most looking forward to.