problem upgrading from 2.5 to 3

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by LisaG, Jun 15, 2007.

1. LisaG

LisaG Bit poster

I have installed version 3.0 now but when it trys to convert I get the following error An error occurred when Parallels Desktop was converting vitual disk image file to the new format

Any idea what I can do.

Rgs

Lisa

Last edited: Jun 18, 2007
  2. iatropoulos

iatropoulos Bit poster

Same Problem

I had the same problem when trying to upgrade from 2.5 to 3.0. I was told that my VM would convert, but then got the error message: "An error occurred when Parallels Desktop was converting virtual disk image file to the new format." Can't seem to find anyway around this.

3. oceanben@earthlink.net

oceanben@earthlink.net Bit poster

PD 2->3 Error Converting Virtaul Disk Image

Same problem as described above. I had been working with PD v2 all morning. I shut down the VM, installed PD v3 and restarted. When I booted PD v3 and went through the initial set up steps. At one point PD v3 alerted me to the fact that the virtual disk would be converted. I clicked "OK." I was immedaitely greeted with a message stating that there had been an error converting the virtual disk image. I uninstalled v3, reinstalled v2 and the virtual disk works fine. I went back and forth between v3 and v2 several times. Everything works fine in v2 but not in v3. I sent Parallels support and email several days ago, but have heard nothing since.

I also sent them a message re: the sticky USB issue with OS 10.4.10, haven't heard anything back on that either so I was happy to fine the useful posts from "dkp" at http://forum.parallels.com/thread13580.html

4. oceanben

oceanben Bit poster

response from Paralles

To update, I recevied an email from Parallels Customer Service a few minutes ago. The contents are as follows:

"Unfortunately this is a very common issue and we still can't fix it.
    Please try to visit our forum and wait until the issue will be
    resolved."​

I am really surprised this bug made it out of beta testing as it could be easily predicted that a large number of users would be upgrading from 3214 to 4128. If the issue is common, this suggests a lapse in QA/QC. I'm also surprised there isn't an announcement or more on the forum from the the Parallels team, just user posts at this moment.

5. iatropoulos

iatropoulos Bit poster

Thanks for sharing the message with us. This is really frustrating and I am equally shocked that this bug made it to the release! Just a quick question: Could you provide me with some details of how to roll back to the previous version of Parallels? Will I need to re-install Windows & my Windows applications if I do so (please say no...)?

6. w7ox

w7ox Hunter

Can do without re-install for sure if you backed up your winxp.hdd (and maybe winxp.pvs) before upgrading.

But I'd give it a try even if not. If the conversion failed, the .hdd and .pvs files should still be in version 2 format if the install program is well behaved (not a sure thing!)

First I'd try without uninstalling v. 3 -- which might zap your VM (winxp.hdd) -- or back up the .hdd and .pvs files before deleting v. 3 if v. 2 will not "upgrade" v. 3. And I'd look here in the forums; I suspect others have already done this.

Weird some are having this problem but many/most did not (I did not when I upgraded today). I wonder if it relates to VM disk size (at 30 GB mine is large) or maybe whether it is plain or expanding (mine is plain).

Phil

7. w7ox

w7ox Hunter

8. Morgenl

Morgenl Member

I am pulling this thread up to see if there is a solution to the original posted issue

"An error occurred when Parallels Desktop was converting virtual disk image file to the new format"

which occurred when moving from Parallels 2.5 to 3.0.

While I upgraded my system some months ago without issue, my attempt to upgrade my father's 20" iMac running Leopard 10.5.1 from Parallels 3218 to the current 5582 build produced the above error. I only have access to my father's system on occasion, thus the reason for the delay in upgrading.

As I keep old .dmg's around, I had no trouble uninstalling 5582 (which had installed without issue) and re-installing 3218. His .hdd (Windows XP) is now running 3218 without issue - but I would like to get him upgraded. Can someone please point me in the right direction for resolving the format conversion issue?

Thanks.

9. jackybe67

jackybe67 Pro

10. Morgenl

Morgenl Member

Sorry about the delay in getting back to you jacky. It took some days before I could get back to my parents to try the intermediary upgrade before jumping to v3.0. Everything is working now using build 5582 (V3.0). I guess I didn't have problems on my system because I installed several intermediary builds as Andrew announced them. But not having regular access to my father's computer ended up with his build being to far behind for a single jump to 5582.

So thanks. :)