Parallels Desktop 9 Firewire Support for Scanners or only Hard Drives?

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by RickFe, Sep 5, 2013.

1. RickFe

RickFe Bit poster

Anyone know if the Firewire support, which the video describes as for storage devices, will work with a Firewire scanner? Does it say "storage devices" specifically because that's all it will work with, or have they just never thought about scanners?

I'll get the upgrade if scanners are supported, but no one seems to know, and search articles are years old.

Thanks!

2. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

Storage only.

3. joevt

joevt Forum Maven

4. MikeFulton

MikeFulton Junior Member

This is very disappointing. I desperately need to be able to connect and use my Nikon LS-4000 film scanner.

I'll admit, this scanner is not really what you'd call current hardware. On the other hand, it's probably among the most common pieces of hardware that old that is still in everyday use.

The problem is, Nikon has not released a new version of the software for this scanner since the Mac went Intel. So using it with recent versions of OS X since Rosetta went away is not possible. (And by the way, thanks a f***ing lot, Apple, for taking away Rosetta.)

On Windows, the most recent version supported by the Nikon Scan software is Vista, so I have kept a PC running Vista just so that I can use it with the scanner. But I can't upgrade it or get rid of it without giving up access to the scanner, which is a real pain in the behind.

I was really hoping to be able to run Windows XP in Parallels and use the scanner that way. When this idea first occurred to me a year ago or whenever it was, I was very disappointed to discover that Firewire support was not there, so when I heard earlier today that Firewire support was added in 9.0 I was quite excited for the upgrade.

Good thing I did a little research first. Now I'm back to thinking maybe the upgrade isn't really an urgent priority for me.

Would be nice if someone from Parallels would join the conversation and let us know if support for non-storage devices is in the pipeline.