Parallels 9 Coherence "Gray window"-bug

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by geirsag, Sep 17, 2013.

1. geirsag

geirsag Bit poster

I am constantly experiencing a weird bug when using Coherence mode, see the following screenshot:

Screen Shot 2013-09-17 at 21.32.56.png

Basically, whenever a Windows application has focus, a square window shows only the Windows "desktop", i.e. any windows apps running underneath, giving a kind of "portal"-effect.
    The square is always in the same place, and I have noticed this behaviour on 2 different Macbook Airs (2011 and 2013), both in Parallels 8 and 9 (IIRC, version 6 as well).

Any fixes for this?

2. rauckr

rauckr Member

I am getting somewhat similar behavior. When I enter Coherence mode, sometimes a grey window appears. It seems to be the same size as the Parallels Window in window mode. If I resize the Parallels Window and switch to Coherence mode the grey window is resized to match. I am running Parallels Build 9.0.23062 on a mid 2010 MacBook Pro but I have seen this issue intermittently with earlier versions. I am running OS X 10.8.5 but the problem was there before I loaded this update. Any ideas??

3. rauckr

rauckr Member

I tried several things to see if they were related to my "Grey Window" problem. First I shut the MacBook Pro completely down and restarted it and relaunched Parallels and Windows 7 to see if that would resolve the issue. There was no change to the problem. Next I reinstalled Parallels Tools. Again there was no change to the problem. Finally, I reinstalled Parallels Desktop for the Mac (Build: 9.0.23062.920702) and this appears to have corrected my problem at least for the moment. I will report any relevant behavior changes as I continue to use Parallels.

4. geirsag

geirsag Bit poster

Glad to hear reinstalling worked for you... unfortunately the issue is still there for me after reinstalling. My gray window is always the same size, regardless of the size of the Parallels window. Hope there is a fix for this, Coherence is useless like this :(