Bluetooth keyboards unlinks from Parallels when I close/reopen laptop lid.

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by mdrejhon, Sep 21, 2013.

1. mdrejhon

mdrejhon Bit poster

Hello,

I tried to report something like this by the official bug reporting channels a while back, but for some reason I could never log back into my old account anymore (?). Even the usual "Forgot Password" (on the original email I have in my mailbox archives) did not work; so it seems like my old account seems to have become lost, due to some unavoidable spam filter. So I'm posting an inquiry to both Parallels and to the public. I'm a long-time paid Parallels user (6,7,8) that have upgraded over the years, and about to upgrade to Parallels 9 but one bug that I'd really like to see fixed.

SITUATION:
    I use a separate Bluetooth accessories (keyboards) for Parallels.
    I simply use Devices->USB->Apple Bluetooth Controller ....
    And permanently assign my apple laptop built-in Bluetooth to Parallels. (Works great with the Bootcamp bluetooth drivers)
    -- This allows me to use a separate keyboard for Parallels, than for the Macintosh -- conveniently using a Mac and a PC at the same time on separate displays
    Works perfect. I can type in Paralells, even while Parallels is in the background, running on a separate display (e.g. external monitor). Typing on the Bluetooth keyboard never interferes with the Mac even when I switch away from Parallels. The Bluetooth keyboard and Bluetooth accessories are conveniently sandboxed to Parallels. It's like having two separate computers in one (separate sets of keyboards/mouse/monitors) that can be used simultaneously by a husband and a wife.

PROBLEM:
    The problem arises when I put the laptop to sleep (close laptop lid, and reopen laptop lid).
    The bluetooth keyboard does not work anymore, and does not resume working with Parallels.
    This happens on all Mac's I've tried (Macbook Air, Macbook Pro, Macbook Pro Retina). Same problem.
    I tried three different brands of Bluetooth keyboards. Same problem.

HACK TO FIX:
    Either:
    (A) Restarting Paralells
    (B) detach/reattach the Bluetooth (do the trick of Devices->USB->Apple Bluetooth Controller two times in a row -- remove checkmark, then readd checkmark)
    (C) Select "Report a Problem" (the process of generating the problem report suddenly makes the bluetooth keyboard work again, basically my wireless keyboard suddenly resumes working in Paralells)

EXPECTED:
    Bluetooth keyboard should automatically resume working in Parallels whenever the laptop lid is reopened (sleep mode), resuming from hibernate, or other resumption operation. The Bluetooth initialization that occurs during (A)/(B)/(C) should be automatically executed by Parallels after reopening the laptop lid.

WORKAROUNDS?
    Everyone, are there other workarounds? That allows Bluetooth accessories (keyboards, mice, etc) to automatically reconnect to Windows via Parallels after sleep mode? I always have my Bluetooth permanently attached to Parallels. Also "Bluetooth sharing" makes no difference, and I've tried that method, but it does not meet the needs of a separate wireless Bluetooth accessories permanently attached to Parallels and never affecting Mac apps.

I am looking forward to keeping using Parallels, this is the biggest Parallels bug that's causing problems in my life right now, as a software developer. Recommendations to other people would become rave/good again if this usability glitch is fixed -- as a programmer myself, I'd imagine this is a simple initialization bugfix (or initialization timing fix -- e.g. simply initializing bluetooth in a delayed fashion) ... because of the weird way just clicking "Report a problem" automatically makes the bluetooth keyboard resume working again (!)

Last edited: Sep 21, 2013
  2. mdrejhon

mdrejhon Bit poster

Supplementary
    -- Another use case is a special application that I have that allows multiple Bluetooth keyboards to type to separate elements in a Microsoft Windows application (a single display groupware application). For that to work, Parallels needs direct access to the Bluetooth ID's of the keyboards, which only works if the Windows drivers is handling the Bluetooth. This groupware application works perfectly, until you close the laptop lid (sleep mode), and stops working thereafter even after reopening the laptop lid (sleep mode).

Last edited: Sep 21, 2013
  3. mdrejhon3

mdrejhon3 Member

(Finally found my lost login -- my apologies)

Just to clarify:
    Basically, the use case is being able to permanently attach Bluetooth keyboards only to Parallels.
    So that two people can type on two separate keyboards simultaneously -- Bluetooth keyboard going to Parallels (running on 1 screen), wired keyboard going to Mac (running on 2nd screen in muilti-display mode)

& It actually already works fine for the most part
    (if I do the forced re-initialization everytime the laptop goes to sleep while Parallels is running)

What I don't want to do is the workarounds to get the Bluetooth keyboards/accessories working again with Windows after a laptop sleep cycle.