Tools install unexpectedly quits in 4128

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by mdf, Jun 23, 2007.

1. mdf

mdf Junior Member

Tools install unexpectedly quits in 4128 *FIXED*

I'm trying to install XP w/ SP2 from a known good ISO image, the automated install seems to complete, the VM reboots, and the Parallels tool install starts. At some point during this, Parallels just quits and I get the "Application has unexpectedly quit" dialog box.

I've seen some posts of other people getting this, but haven't really found if there is a fix for it. Anyone know whats going on with this?

This is Parallels 3 (4128) on 10.4.10, on a C2D Macbook Pro, the error report has "Exception: EXC_BREAKPOINT (0x0006)" at the top, I'm attaching the full thing.

Any ideas?

!!!!Updated!!!!! I fixed it. My best guess from looking at the logs is that "Installing SHA..." meant shared applications, so I looked through my applications directory and got rid of anything with odd names (i.e. "DOSBox-.65-old"), and tried a fresh install. Tools finished with no problem at all!

I am very happy, and hopefully now I can get back to working in the VM instead of working ON the VM. At the same time I'm furious that something as lame as a string manipulation was causing the entire application to bomb in a paid upgrade. Hopefully things will be smoother from here on out.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 25, 2007
  2. poinotna

poinotna Bit poster

Have you tried booting into Safe Mode?

3. mdf

mdf Junior Member

Yes, and I get the same result and what looks like the same "unexpectedly quit" report. Is there a problem with the 10.4.10 upgrade? Other than that I'm not sure where to look next. The only kernel extension I have installed besides the stock apple and parallels ones is from Cisco's vpn client, are there any issues with that?

4. markemer

markemer Bit poster

Nope, its not 10.4.10. I've been getting this for a long time (since the beta). I've never been able to track it down, but I'm willing to try anything at this point.

Mark

5. mdf

mdf Junior Member

I uninstalled 4128 and went back to 3214, and the same XP ISO image works fine with the automated install and has no problem with the tools. When I upgraded it to 4128 again everything seems fine until I do the tools upgrade, and then the same "unexpectedly quit" thing happens. It always happens towards the end of the tools install, when the progess bar is past 75% and the info line says its configuring the tools. I'm going to try the custom install option in the tools, maybe its just one of the components doing this.

6. markemer

markemer Bit poster

Yeah, you'll notice when after you start up the new image that Clipboard Sync and Network are disabled, but turning those off in the the install hasn't worked for me.

7. mdf

mdf Junior Member

I went through the custom tool install for 4128, and unchecked all the options I could until only the disk compacting, time sync, and tools center were left selected (they were forced on). The install actually completes, but when I reboot the VM it "unexpectedly quits" during windows logon. I went in to safe mode, and it looks like the tools install has a RunOnce entry thats is causing the crash on logon. I took a look at the install shield log, and the last thing it shows is "SHA install...". I'm wondering if thats the component that breaks it. Any ideas?

8. mdf

mdf Junior Member

I tried pulling out the 1GB dimm that wasn't from apple, but it made no difference, same unexpectedly quit dialog.

Markemer, what hardware are you using? I'm on a 2.16Ghz C2D MacBook pro w/ 128vram and 2GB of memory.

Im running out of ideas, is there any way to put Parallels into a verbose debug mode? Or is there a debug build available I could try? Are there any symbols I could load for the exception trace?

9. markemer

markemer Bit poster

I'm using a C2D Macbook 2.33 with 2GB of Ram, 256 VRam.

I second the desire for a verbose logging mode, since I've pretty much tried everything. I've even killed or uninstalled pretty much everything that runs at the same time, and it always seems to die at the same spot.

10. mdf

mdf Junior Member

I just reinstalled v3 (4128), used a completely different XP iso, and get the exact same result, the whole thing blows up and "unexpectedly quits". Uninstalled v3, reinstalled v2 (3214), and the new iso works fine. I don't know what to do at this point, and really regret pre-ordering and paying for something I can't even use.

11. mdf

mdf Junior Member

I fixed it, and updated the first post in this thread to show how (at least what worked for me).

12. markemer

markemer Bit poster

Good catch! That worked - although, I had to empty my whole App directory. This makes a lot of sense; It seemed to be dependent on what I had installed, but not what was running. I'm playing around to see what exactly it is that Parallels doesn't like.

13. kaiba11

kaiba11 Bit poster

I'm sort of having the same problem as well.

I seem to have been able to install Parallel Tools ok (or so I think cos it quit unexpectedly after the installation process).

Now after Windows XP boots up, I click on my user account to log in and Parallels just quits unexpectedly again. Every time.

I tried uninstalling Parallels and reinstalling but it doesn't seem to make a difference.

Any help would be much appreciated :eek:

14. friendship7

friendship7 Bit poster

same problem

I have the same problem too. I am not sure what the original poster means by Applications folder. Is it the Programs folder under Win, the Applications folder under Mac, the Windows Applications folder under Parallels?

I removed the latter, but it did no good.

I continue having a similar crashing problem, although my XP doesn't reboot. I was able to install the video driver from the Parallels Tools disk using the Win add hardware wizard. But whether I launch from the CD or from the Install menu in Parallels, running the overall install results in its death.

I have tried to remove Parallels Tools entirely, but Win's add/remove wizard helpfully tells me I need to be running in the virtual machine to do so. Whops, I am.

Any thoughts?

15. mdf

mdf Junior Member

The problem I had was XP would install ok in Parallels, but during the Parallels tools install everything would crash (unexpectedly quit) around the time the progress bar (in the XP vm) hit 75%. The fix was to clean up the /Applications directory in OS X. For me, I think it was a directory that had dashes '-' and periods '.' in its name that was causing a problem, the tools install seemed to be reading from /Applications and creating entries in the XP program menu for them, and a funny name like I had would break everything.

I hope this is clear enough, but if you're still confused try making a folder called "Test" on your desktop in OS X, then go to the Applications folder in OS X, and move everything except the Parallels folder into the "Test" directory on your desktop. Start parallels, and either try to install the Parallels tools or delete the existing VM and try the automatic install again. If everything works, you had the same problem I was running into, and Parallels should work find now. If it still doesn't work, you have a different problem. Either way, you need to take everything from the "Test" folder on your desktop and move it back into the Applications folder when your done.

PM me if you need more help, I know the whole process of getting this to work was infuriating for me, and glad to help if I can since Parallels support STILL hasn't gotten back to me from my initial request for help.

16. kaiba11

kaiba11 Bit poster

I've managed to do a clean install but now each time I try to install Parallel Tools, it quits unexpectedly every single time.

I'll try what you did mdf and see if it works for me, although I don't recall seeing any funny named directories.

mdf, could you help type out the full path of where the directory was located on your Mac? (Sorry for the noob question here)

It seems like more of an alpha release, rushed out without bug testing...

Failing all else, I'm switching back to version 2.5 till they sort their problems out....:mad:

17. uwe

uwe Bit poster

Thank you mdf! I have spent a lot of time making my Parallel Tools working. Your advise moving all my apps apart from the Parallels folder out of my application folder was working fine. Now I have a working copy of Parallels:)

18. mdf

mdf Junior Member

Its /Applications, you should see it in the left pane of the finder, other wise open a finder window, go to the "Go" menu, and click "Applications"