Coherence Does not work with Leopard

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by dailo, Jun 23, 2007.

1. dailo

dailo Member

You guys probably already know this, but just in case I'd like to let the Parallels Team know that Build 4128 seems to work perfectly fine with Leopard except when trying to switch to coherence mode.

2. shaneblyth

shaneblyth Member

so how does leopard run compared to tiger...? got any "general" comments
    the finder looks pretty awesome dot the changes u make in finder "stick" lie window size and VIEW finder drives me nuts that it doesn't stay consistent between openings
    I sure hope things like that are improved

3. cWanja

cWanja Junior Member

I believe to have the same issue. Generally, before this build, I would load up Parallels and coherence would load right in. Now, it does not. It takes about 3 to 4 minutes.

4. smaug

smaug Bit poster

Works for me on WWDC build. I set up symlinks to my tiger directories and it is seamless between them.

5. jianfour

jianfour Bit poster

Does not start under the new build, 466

Does not start under the new build, 466

Has anyone gotten version 3.4128 to work yet with the new build of Leopard?

6. smaug

smaug Bit poster

It occasionally starts and then will stop. I notice it having problems starting if I change network locations or if Spotlight is running.

7. cWanja

cWanja Junior Member

Nope. I can not get my coherence mode to work flawlessly, nor can I get my VM to pick up an internet signal.

I am quite inflamed, considering I go zero support here (my request for help).

8. dkp

dkp Forum Maven

Why would anyone expect Parallels to work with leopard?

9. maverick808

maverick808 Hunter

Fusion works perfectly in Leopard.

10. dkp

dkp Forum Maven

That's a fine thing, but doesn't answer the question, why would it be expected to run in leopard? One of the posters "is inflamed" over this and there's no valid reason I can think of for this. Parallels have never claimed their released product will function in leopard and there's no reason to expect it will. That does not imply there is no effort to have a version ready when leopard is ready, or that there is no beta program for leopard support in a future release. And if leopard is sufficiently close in design to tiger then many parts of it might in fact work as is. It is just not logical to expect it.

11. wesley

wesley Pro

I thought at one point Leopard compatibility was promised, but I'm not sure it was about the current version. In any case, Parallels would have a lot to lose if the compatibility issues aren't fixed by the time Leopard actually ships, so it'll get resolved in time.

This does raise an interesting point, though. With the introduction of Unity in Fusion, Parallels may be compelled to 'update' Coherence to be more Expose-friendly and the like. But then the Coherence's Leopard compatibility needs to be thought of as well, as it seems to be broken for some people right now. Looks like it won't be done in a short period.

12. maverick808

maverick808 Hunter

Actually, I think it does answer the question. I'm being pedantic, but here's some reasons someone might expect Parallels to work:

1) They see Fusion works on Leopard and expect other similar (i.e. virtualization) software to work too.

2) They know Leopard is the next big OS X release and think Parallels would already have a version that runs on it.

3) They tried an earlier version of Parallels or Leopard and had it working, and assumed it would keep working in newer versions.

4) They have no idea how software works and just think everything will always be fine.

5) Someone told them it works.

...and so on. You can't deny that a user COULD expect Parallels to work for any of these reasons, no matter how unreasonable they are.

13. skram

skram Bit poster

Really?! build 4128 isn't working at all on my MacBookPro c2d running 9a466 (WWDC Developer Preview Seed).