Access Server on Host from Guest OS

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by Frank9, Sep 30, 2013.

1. Frank9

Frank9 Bit poster

Hi,

I'm running an Imap server on the OSX host and would like to access it from the Windows guest. The windows guest runs outlook with a VPN and I'd like to access the local imap server to archive my mail. This works when I use the IP address of the OSX host on the local network (for example: 192.168.0.10). This is however a pain to use as the ip address changes when I move networks.

I guess it may be possible to use a combination of shared (which I use now) and host only networking, possibly using a second virtual adapter, but I need some guidance getting this setup.

Anyone have done this using Parallels 8 or 9 with Windows 7?

Regards,
    Frank

2. lotw

lotw Product Expert

The best way, if running any server type apps on a machine, is go into your Router settings and give the MAC Address of your Mac or other machine you want to access all the time a fixed IP address. I do that for my Mac. It always gets assigned the same IP address and same goes for my NAS, since my NAS is hosting my webpage and stuff I cannot have it change the IP address. I also have my Dish Hoppers sling set to a set address, makes remote and opening ports easier. You can also lock your VM to have a certain address if you use bridged, since PD assigns it a MAC Address for the NIC

3. Frank9

Frank9 Bit poster

Thanks, I'll do that on my future setup where I will move the server to a mac mini.

For now I got it resolved by using the internal address that parallels creates in shared networking 22.211.55.2 and adding to the server name to the hosts file in windows. Had one more snag, once I started a vpn to our company network it stopped working. Changing the 22.211.55.2 to 192.168.1.x solved the problem. Seems the VPN tried to route the 22.xxx address but not the 192.168.xxx address.

4. lotw

lotw Product Expert

Dont use shared networking. If you want a real normal address and let programs see your VM use bridged.