Japanese IME / keyboard layout in P8, W8

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by kiisud, Jul 25, 2013.

1. kiisud

kiisud Bit poster

I Have a Macbook Air with a Japanese keyboard. In Mac OSX (10.8.4), the language is set to Kotoeri and I can swap between romaji, hiragana and katakana with no problems. In my Windows 8 VM in Parallels 8, I can input text in hiragana and romaji but despite choosing Japanese as the input language, the keyboard layout is incorrect (e.g. pressing @ produces [). How can I make windows use the correct keyboard layout?

Thanks in advance

2. BonBowman

BonBowman Bit poster

Yes, I'm having this same problem!

Were you able to find a solution kiisud?

There seems to be some custom parallels keyboards in the Windows input method control panel, but there isn't one for Japanese. Does anyone know if installing Apple's Windows Support Software would help?

3. kiisud

kiisud Bit poster

I found a registry edit somewhere online that worked. However, I can't find it on google now...
    The only problem is that the eisu key only cycles between IMEs (e.g. British English to Japanese) rather than between hiragana and romaji inputs, which is what it should do (since the key mapping for the non Japanese keyboard is wrong and thus unusable).

I'm sure if you google around a bit (looking for registry hacks or edits) you'll find it.