"license registry file not found or corrupt"

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by Spotnik63, Sep 28, 2013.

1. Spotnik63

Spotnik63 Bit poster

I just purchased an upgrade that Parallels offered to those of us who still have 6 (this offer was confirmed valid by Parallels)

So, I tried to run the install, it removed 6 in the process, but when I got to the activation screen it told me that the License Registration was Not Found or Corrupt.

The help link that it directed me to only said to reinstall and try again. Well, not only did it not work, but there is no advice on what to do if the solution doesn't work.

I had to upgrade to Mac OS 10.8.5 because I received a replacement, so of course when I did my restore, I had a version of Parallels that was no longer compatible. Normally it isn't possible to upgrade to 9 from so many versions ago,
    but, as I said, this was a limited offer.

And now I'm stymied. Is the registration file somewhere id shouldn't be, and can I copy it to the correct folder? Or what? Reinstalling hasn't work the past six times.

Any help would be appreciated.

2. kat

kat Product Expert

If you need to enter your Parallels 6 activation information and you no longer have that code.
    You should be able to get it by going to Parallels.com >Sign in with your user id and password
    Then go to Parallels Desktop. Here you should find all of your activation codes.
    If this is not the answer you are seeking, I would contact customer service.

3. Spotnik63

Spotnik63 Bit poster

I have the P6 registration key with the disk, and I tried entering it on a whim and an error message came back saying it was invalid for P9. So, there's some other stage where I'm supposed to enter the P6 key, I haven't found it yet. It recognizes the P9 key as valid, but fails at activation.

I actually tried to reinstall P6, but it reached a point where a message came up saying that the version would not run on this Mac, and it exited. So now I'm wondering if the P9 upgrade process can't find evidence that P6 even existed on this machine.

And, yes, both versions appear to be activated according to my user account.

4. kat

kat Product Expert

I would contact customer service/support, have the offer information for Parallels 9 upgrade and the key for both 6 and 9 available if they request that information.

5. lotw

lotw Product Expert

You have to contact customer support, the upgrade they offer on their site only works from 7+, nothing before that version.

6. Spotnik63

Spotnik63 Bit poster

Not true in this case. I have a customer support rep on record confirming that Parallels was making a limited offer to 5/6 users who still had not upgraded. This was the upgrade I was linked to and paid for. It may still be the case that a call to customer support is necessary, however that was never made clear to me at the point of sale, nor did the rep on the chatline say anything about "Oh, and by the way they require that you call customer support to activate." But the 5/6 upgrade to 9 is legit.

7. Spotnik63

Spotnik63 Bit poster

So, I finally figured this out a couple of days ago. My copy of P9 would have activated itself just fine had the license.xml file from my previous version not been locked. I don't know how it got that way, and it took a bit of poking around to figure out how to unlock it (there is a terminal command in one of the apple support forum threads). The locked file could not be trashed (as per Parallel's kb article) but once I unlocked and trashed it, P9 activated just fine. So the the file was neither "corrupt" nor missing; simply inaccessible.

Thanks for your suggestions.