10.4.10 USB Fix from Parallels

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by dkp, Jun 22, 2007.

1. blacks

blacks Bit poster

No updates for localısed versıons???UK,French,German..
    Somebody of parallels know ıt???
    Hopefully they are posted soon...

Hans

2. dkp

dkp Forum Maven

3.0 is fine as is: http://forum.parallels.com/thread13499.html

3. w7ox

w7ox Hunter

Great -- then I will proceed with both.

Thanks for the very quick reply!

Phil

4. dkp

dkp Forum Maven

So far the only recourse I've seen for localized versions is here: http://forum.parallels.com/thread10587.html

That isn't much help but it shows they're aware of the problem.

5. Klemmi

Klemmi Bit poster

It ain't ! I'm running 3.0 4128 since first day out (was 4124 then) and ran err'thing under 10.4.9. Since upgrading to 10.4.10 I can't connect ANY USB device attached to my VM.

Why that?! Same Error as known from 2.5 saying "is already in use by another.. wag wag"

So what 2 do ?

Help please, need my USB Devices back @ work !

Thanks !

6. dkp

dkp Forum Maven

Interesting - I had no trouble with USB after the 10.4.10 upgrade (or before, for that matter), so it isn't a universal problem. Suggest you round up all the info you can on the problem and shoot a copy to Support@Parallels.com.

What devices are you using and how have you enabled USB in your VM configuration?

7. STim

STim Bit poster

(Don't kill me for this suggestion) - please try rebooting your Mac.

If still no go, use this webform to submit a SR: http://www.parallels.com/support/request/

The problem is not common and will require investigation.

8. w7ox

w7ox Hunter

Along the very bottom of the screen on the right should be some device icons. The second one from left relates to USB. Hold the cursor over it and report what it says.

FWIW -- I just installed Para v. 3 then 10.4.10 and all is now working well, including usb. I had other problems (CD/DVD drive came up in Image mode with Parallel Tools always there and always wanting to re-install when I started WinXP. Using the icon for the drive at the bottom let me set it from image to real drive, solving the problem.

Phil

9. RichardKAthena

RichardKAthena Member

I just installed V3.0 Build 4128.

It's not working. I get the same "USB Device is in use by another application" nonsense. I have tried setting the software to either automatically connect to Guest OS or to ask me, either way, I get loads of dialogue boxes as it discovers and then loses the devices.

I'm deeply unimpressed with this. I went and tried V3.0 (with the intent of buying the upgrade; found that the trial a: messed with my install so my paid-for copy doesn't work, then needed me to register to get the trial key, then didn't improve anything - by which time I'd decided to buy the upgrade, only to find that my purchase of Parallels boxed retail in the UK - distributed by Avanquest - in June entitles me to a free upgrade to 3.0 anyway! ARGH!).

10. Mara

Mara Bit poster

@ KLEMMI

I have the same problem with one of my USB device (a smartcardreader). With 2.5, no way ! With 3.0, first I had the same problem as before, but I used tinker tool systems to clean my caches (system, devices, kernel etc. and the lookup cache) after several tries the device was connected to my VM.

I don't know yet where the error is located, because if it's detected in parallels it works for a while and I can't force the error again (but it returns).

11. beeboo97

beeboo97 Bit poster

USB devices being used by another application - workaround

I have the same problem and am running build 3188 and OS X 10.4.10 and only found out about this forum today.

I found a work around which will trigger Parallels Desktop to connect to some USB devices (mainly printers) without installing build 3214. Following are the steps I took. It is cumbersome but hopefully it may help some other guys who still have problem after installing build 3214.

1. Start your parallel desktop with Windows.
    2. Click on the devices that were not connected but you wanted to connect to. You will see the device being used by another application message. Just click OK. This will remove the device from the list.
    3. Reset your VM by clicking the Rest button. Your VM will reboot and You should see the device that was removed being connected and usable.

It works for me for all USB printers but not my external hard drive.

It may worth a try for those who have problems with other devices.

12. deisum

deisum Bit poster

I would strongly suggest updating Parallels before 10.4.10. I was using the early 2.5 build of Parallels, ran the 10.4.10 updater and it hosed my system. When I try to boot into anything other than single user, the System Starter process is perpetually waiting for something that never starts and thus doesn't let the OS load. I've uninstalled Parallels manually by deleting everything in the various Parallels directories and the 5 different kernel extensions, along with the kernel extension cache. This has gotten any mention of Parallels processes out of my boot messages, but I'm still hunting down the source of a different kernel error message ("display: family specific matching fails") which still leads to System Starter hanging while waiting for something. To top it all off, I get nothing of use to any of the files in /var/log.

13. john.

john. Member

How to get teh UK localised version fix

I am on build 3188 in the UK If I try to get update through the update menu item nothing happens.

I have read that the UK verison of this fix is available but where do I get it?

Thanks

John:confused:

14. Klemmi

Klemmi Bit poster

Hi there,
    sorry not being 'round here during the last days to inform you,
    so what i can say for sure is, that rebooting doesn't work for me.
    The device i want to use is an external Soundblaster 24 Live! (USB).
    It worked fine with 10.4.9 but since i updated to 10.4.10 it won't connect anymore.

Cuz i'm currently @ work, i'm not able to try that Tinker-Cache thing rite now, i'll do so tonight when i'm back home.

As for now, the Tinker thing would be the only try i didn't run, yet... All the rest u mentioned didn't have success. Neither the reboot thing, nor the reinstall and reconfigure option.

Greetings,
    Dennis

15. dkp

dkp Forum Maven

While some people running 3.0 continue to report USB problems I have not seen where there is a universal USB problem related to the OS X upgrade. It was never a problem here.

16. RichardKAthena

RichardKAthena Member

I finally got the trial to work by rebooting the Mac twice and repairing disk permissions.

Now I just need to get a refund for my paid upgrade (which I haven't used, having found Avanquest/purchase after May 1st entitles users to a free upgrade to 3.0).

17. Klemmi

Klemmi Bit poster

Okay ladies, here we go again ;)

I'm back home and did the following:
    Did the Tinker-Tool thing someone (sry, don't know who it was now) mentioned...
    Booted the VM, no connection possible...

Rebootet mac & vm -> no connection possible...

Repaired the rights on my drive, rebooted both environments -> no connection possible...

Then something came to my mind... yesterday, I plugged in my ipod shuffle device and Parallels asked if it shud be mounted or not, I said yes (by fault, cuz i wanted it to be mounted in OSX, but anyway i switched the ipod to OSX)... Then I tried to connect my USB device i wanted to use and well.. "already in usw wig wag". But at that time, I didn't take notice on that my ipod WAS recognized.

Few minutes ago that came to my mind, so what I did now -> i pulled the USB cord of my device off (by default i have it always plugged in) and then plugged it in again ... same thing as the day before with my ipod, the dialog appeard, i chose "yes" and well.. what to say ?!?! There we were up and running that device :D:D

How come I have to take this workaround with every single device ?! It worked before 10.4.10 the old way .. Why does it have to be that difficult by now ?!

So for everyone who's in trouble connecting devices to 3.0 rigs, pull the cable and plug it in freshly, and even better, use another usb port for example, don't know why, but it works and it's reproducable every time..

Greetings,
    Dennis

18. wueand

wueand Bit poster

hi, i've tried to update from my german parallels 2.5 build 3188 through the help/update menu today. but no update is available.
    when will the german update to 3214 be available and where will i get it if the parallels update function won't work?
    regards from gremany,
    andreas

Last edited: Jun 27, 2007
  19. wueand

wueand Bit poster

update available since tomorrow... works fine... usb problems solved
    thanks andreas

20. blacks

blacks Bit poster

where did you find the localised upgrqades? I need the UK upgrade.
    Hans