Fedora 19 and Parallels Tools

Discussion in 'Linux Virtual Machine' started by michael_aos@mac.com, Jul 26, 2013.

1. CaseyD

CaseyD Junior Member

Mount points are just folders, if it doesn't exist run `mkdir -p /media/cdrom`, or you can use any other folder of your choosing. The psf folder is what parallels tools creates when installed to connect your OS X drive to linux, so you can access files cross platform (among many other changes).

The contents of our tools iso's look nothing alike so I'm guessing you have a different tools iso. I just checked and the iso I am using is located in at `/Applications/Parallels Desktop.app/Contents/Resources/Tools/prl_tools_lin.iso`. Try using the VM Configuration and manually mapping to that iso (even if the name you have matches it could be pulling from another location, such as the original /Library/Parallels/Tools/` folder).

2. James Rome

James Rome Hunter

Wow. I am very confused. I had not used the -p when creating the cdrom directory. So I redid it, and got the correct part of the ISO, ran ./install, and now it is downloading. But I have all the required components, so it should not be doing this. And it still dies:
    fedora4.png

3. CaseyD

CaseyD Junior Member

The -p flag simply says "make any parent directories and don't complain", it's like a -f (force flag) on some commands. Also the newer install scripts automatically grab dependencies, so that's normal.

Unfortunately the error you have run into is due to having the "latest and greatest" kernel. I am still on kernel 3.10. You can try dropping back to the previous kernel (no clue how you would go about doing that), or wait for parallels to catch up. My experience has been that this generally involves waiting for the next release, because they are pretty bad at following kernel changes and supplying patches.

Keep in mind they are trying to have a single iso to serves all linux platforms, which means it has to support back to 2.6 kernels. If anything that tells me they need to have a better build & test suite in place to handle updates (something like koji).

The error itself appears to be with the prl_fs module, and I'm guessing that the `readdir` property has either been renamed, moved to another item, or it's parent could have been renamed or moved to another item (and so on), so it could be trying to get a property off a null pointer.

4. James Rome

James Rome Hunter

I surrender! I had never tried Fedora before, and I hate its desktop, so I will kill the VM. OpenSUSE is MUCH friendlier.
    As a security paranoid, I always install kernel updates.
    Thanks a bunch for your help.

5. CaseyD

CaseyD Junior Member

Sorry I couldn't do much to resolve your troubles. I'm a debian user, I used Fedora over the summer for Sugar software development and testing. A fun experience but Fedora is a "bleeding edge" release platform, it uses the latest and greatest and suffers for it in compatibility.

AFAIK stable distro's like SUSE and Debian stick to older kernels because newer kernels have not been as thoroughly tested, and backports for security problems are pushed into the older kernels so it's generally not a problem. Debian wheezy released just a few months before Fedora 19 and still uses the 3.2 kernel. Just to give you an idea as to how far ahead Fedora is. Also I think SUSE 12 uses kernel 3.1, but it might have changed.

6. mufb74

mufb74 Bit poster

I think the main problems with Fedora 18/19/20 and Parallels Tools is the Xorg version AND the handling of uid/gui in some of the Parallels Tools source wrt Linux kernel 3.5.0 and later.

As of the current version of Parallels Desktop Build 9.0.24172 (Revision 951362; Tuesday, December 3, 2013), support exists only for Xorg up to 1.14. I think F18/19/20 are using 1.14.99, which is also being considered as 1.15 rc0.

I am having the same problem with RHEL7 beta that was just released on 12/12/2013, which is based on Fedora 18.

It would be nice if Parallels paid more attention to their Linux customers and not so much on Windows 8 and 8.1. Newer kernel and Xorg support are sadly lacking.

If I were Parallels, I would get on the ball with supporting RHEL 7 ASAP. It is now in beta and it looks to be released in late-Q1/early-Q2 2014.

7. James Rome

James Rome Hunter

But once you get to the black desktop, you cannot do anything because the terminal (and everything else) is hidden. How does one recover?

8. CaseyD

CaseyD Junior Member

Parallels clearly doesn't care about their linux users, so I dropped them. I have working UEFI and video in Fedora, Debian, and Arch with VirtualBox.

@mufb74, I am pretty sure xorg uses semantic versions, which means the `.99` should only account for bugfixes and would not change how anything interfaces with their service. Also, I have tried fedora with debian and arch and had the same problems. Debian sticks to older versions for stability, which is a great indicator as to how far behind parallels tools are for linux users.

@James, you can use the ctrl+alt+Fn key-combo to switch between tty consoles (numbers 1-6 I believe?). One of them is used by your GUI, so if ctrl+alt+f1 doesn't work, try f2, and f3. Also with mac keyboards you may have to include the `fn` key for the f1-f6 to send non-media keys.

9. CaseyD

CaseyD Junior Member

Sorry, duplicate post because I did not receive a notice about admin reviews for every post before appending them.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2013
  10. James Rome

James Rome Hunter

CaseyD: I get a terminal. http://kb.parallels.com/118876 uses yum, which is not installed, and the wrong executable. I had to click the cdrom icon (at bottom) and tell it to use the parallels iso. Then I can mount it and run ./install as root. Then it installed :)