PD9: after upgrade to Win 8.1, re-installing Parallels Tools stops at 15%

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by kuebler, Oct 17, 2013.

1. kuebler

kuebler Member

I upgraded from WIn 8, where everything was ok. Now the Win 8.1 "maintenance center" keeps telling me "Solve a problem with virtual machine" (translated from German), which guides to the re-installation of Parallels Tools. But it progresses quickly to 15% and then is stuck. I can only cancel the re-installation with the task manager. It's always the same, regardless how often I try.

What can I do?

2. DavidPearson

DavidPearson Bit poster

You can thank your lucky stars :p

I tried solving that same problem and completely blew out my Win8.1, all I have now is a black screen that flickers now and again with images of some kind of icon... and safe mode doesn't work.

I foolishly thought I had set up a restore point before installing 8.1 but if I did it doesn't seem to be here. I'm hoping there's a Parallels repair for this so I don't have to risk dealing with Microsoft deciding that my copy of Windows isn't legitimate, that process is a LOT of fun.

3. kuebler

kuebler Member

Because the day was so boring, I've tried now everything possible, including starting from scratch with a backup pvm file with Windows 8, and then doing all the update procedures again.

I also tried the complex scenario for reinstalling Parallels Tools as given on the Parallels support site. But when executing parallels-tools-amd64, the InstallShield Wizard finally tells (translated from German): "The assistant was interrupted, before Parallels Tools could be installed completely. The system was not altered."

In one of the later attempts Windows told "Parallels Tools installation could not be completed, because the Plug and Play Service is not available".

Right now I can only conclude: PD9 appears not yet really ready for Windows 8.1

4. kuebler

kuebler Member

I re-installed Windows 8, not keeping anything from my existing installation, then upgraded to Windows 8.1, and then installed my applications again.

This worked.