Parallels Desktop 9 for Mac Build 23136 is available!

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by alev, Oct 17, 2013.

1. alev

alev Parallels Team

Dear Users,

Parallels Desktop 9 for Mac (build 9.0.23136)addresses overall stability and performance issues, and includes the following fixes and enhancements:

OS X Mavericks support
    - Work with Parallels Desktop on a Mac running OS X Mavericks.
    - Install and use OS X Mavericks in a virtual machine.
    - OS X notifications let you know when Microsoft Outlook 2007 or later receives a new email.
    - Support for the OS X Mavericks multiple displays functionality gives you more flexibility to work with Windows and OS X apps at a time when using multiple displays.
    - Support for the OS X Mavericks tags in Finder lets you easily find the virtual machines and virtual machine applications you're looking for.

Usability
    - Easily distinguish your virtual machines running in full screen by their names that appear for a while after switching to the virtual machine.

Devices
    - Resolves an issue with external storage devices (Thunderbolt/FireWire devices and SD/MMC cards connected via the SDXC card slot) not reconnecting to the virtual machine after the virtual machine restart, resume, or reverting to a snapshot.
    - Resolves an issue with external storage devices (Thunderbolt/FireWire devices and SD/MMC cards connected via the SDXC card slot) not reconnecting to the virtual machine after being plugged out and plugged into the Mac again.
    - No more annoying "device connect/device disconnect" sounds when resizing the virtual machine window, switching to Coherence, or during the Parallels Tools installation.

Switch to Parallels
    - Convert VMware virtual machines with Windows 7 (x64) installed via EFI to the Parallels format and use them in Parallels Desktop.
    - Convert VMware virtual machines with Windows XP (x64) to the Parallels format and use them in Parallels Desktop.

Linux support
    - Resolves an issue with drag-and-drop files from Linux to OS X not working when the virtual machine is running in Coherence.

Other
    - Longer battery life of your Mac.
    - The list of languages that sync between the host and guest OSs has been expanded.
    - Check for updates from the "About Parallels Desktop" dialog.

Updates for Parallels Desktop 9 for Mac are available via:
    - Parallels Desktop in-product updater
    - Parallels Desktop download page - http://www.parallels.com/download/desktop/

Updates summary: http://kb.parallels.com/117225

2. ivahost

ivahost Member

It's getting closer but still no cigar when it comes to multiple monitor support in mavericks.

Now fullscreen mode works the way its supposed to regardless of your settings for use all screens in full screen mode and using all screens in full screen mode does not create hidden screens.

However the following problem has been created:

When opening up a VM sometimes it will create a new full screen space. When the VM is powered on a new full screen space is created for the VM that works as normal but this first full screen space becomes a "ghost" space that you cannot remove. The only way to remove it is to quit parallels all together.

This does not happen 100% of the time on my system but at least 30% of the time I open up a new VM.

-Ivar

3. Mark13

Mark13 Bit poster

That's great and all, just downloaded the update and am getting the spinning bars, does not launch. UPDATE - I rebooted, it now launches. If all else fails, do the reboot...

Last edited: Oct 17, 2013
  4. ikorobov

ikorobov Parallels Developers

Hello Ivar!

Thank you for reporting the issue!

Could you please give some more details on when a "ghost" space is created when the VM is opened.
    Are there any other VMs running in full screen mode when you open the new VM?
    Does it happen when the VM opens on a full screen space of another VM? Or just randomly?

Best regards,
    Ivan

5. ivahost

ivahost Member

Its kind of hard to describe so I made this recording of what happens.
    [video=youtube_share;bHDuKihi78I]http://youtu.be/bHDuKihi78I[/video]

This shows the problem. Just ignore my badly accented english :)

Let me know if you need more information

-Ivar

6. ikorobov

Hello Ivar!

Wow! Thanks a lot for the great feedback!
    It does clarify the issue.
    One more question: do I understand it right, that besides the Windows 7 VM you've demonstrated the issue with, there is another VM running in full screen at the same time?

Best regards,
    Ivan

7. ivahost

ivahost Member

There where actually 2 other VM's running. One ubuntu 1linux 12.4 and another windows 7 ultimate machine. However I don't think thats the cause as I have had this occur with only 1 VM running. I was just opening them all to provoke the problem so I could record it.

-Ivar

8. ikorobov

OK, got it. Thanks for the clarification!

Best regards,
    Ivan

9. EricLee

EricLee Bit poster

I sometimes see the same problem that Ivar described where I'll get an extraneous "ghost" space that I can't get rid of. For me this often occurs when I unplug external monitors while a VM is running in fullscreen mode. Once I get one of those ghost spaces the only way to get rid of it is to exit Parallels entirely. Just closing all VMs doesn't get rid of it.

10. phonetrouble

phonetrouble Bit poster

The cost is just too high to update. I will stay with my old version and not use Maverick.

11. rtfulk

rtfulk Bit poster

Is anyone else getting Win7 not responding in Activity Monitor? and high CPU usage?