Service Announcement for Users of Parallels Desktop 7 for Mac

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by Chris@Parallels, Sep 19, 2013.

1. Chris@Parallels

Chris@Parallels Hunter

URGENT SERVICE NOTIFICATION FOR PARALLELS DESKTOP 7 FOR MAC USERS:
    If you intend to upgrade to the upcoming Mac OS X Mavericks (10.9), please note that Parallels Desktop 7 for Mac will not support OS X Mavericks (10.9). You will not be able to launch your Windows virtual machine or directly use your files through Parallels Desktop 7.

If you plan on upgrading to OS X Mavericks; upgrade to Parallels Desktop 9 for Mac, as it is the only version available today ready for Mavericks.

2. marcso

marcso Bit poster

This is scandalous. Parallels Desktop versions after 7 have no single feature I need or want. Now I can decide to stick with the old OS or pay 4 times more than the new os costs for a new not needed upgrade for your software. Finally a way to get the people to upgrade. I am really disappointed. You have the knowledge to make 7 run on maverick as you show with the version 9. What about upgrading version 7?

3. Chris@Parallels

Chris@Parallels Hunter

Hi marcso,

The changes that are involved with making older software compatible with a new OS release (either Mac or Windows) are significant. Parallels always works hard to support the two most recent versions of our software. As with any business (and even people’s personal finances) we have a finite set of resources. Because we strive for the best compatibility and deepest integration with both Mac and Windows releases, it is simply not feasible to back-port new technologies and functionalities into all of our previous versions, especially since both Apple and Microsoft are releasing significant updates at about the same time. We do not like to see our customers surprised after upgrading either a Mac or Windows OX, and believe that by posting this Service Announcement, our Parallels Desktop 7 customers can be prepared if they do decide to upgrade to the new OS when it is released.

As a PD7 customer, you do not need to purchase a full new license as you suggested – but you are able to purchase an upgrade key for Parallels Desktop 9.

Thanks for your continued support.
    Chris

Last edited: Oct 7, 2013
  4. LetzGogh

LetzGogh Bit poster

I agree with Marsco. This is scandalous. An upgrade to V7 is requested by this user too. For now, I'm testing CodeWeavers CrossOver12 solution as an alternative until this is resolved. Maybe someone at Parallels can tell me why I should pay $49 for new features that I don't need? Please help! Thanks.

5. Chris@Parallels

Chris@Parallels Hunter

Hi LetzGogh,

As I stated above, it is not feasible for us as an organization to back port three versions from a resource perspective. We posted this so that when the releases do take place, our customers are aware of the situation before they find themselves in a difficult situation.

Chris

6. LetzGogh

LetzGogh Bit poster

Hi Chris,
    Thanks for your candid response. I wish I had known this before, especially after having paid full price for Parallels. I guess that's all in the fine print somewhere... Do you know if I can request a goodwill upgrade somehow?

In the meantime, I have found another solution that works for now (CrossOver12). Do you guys also own that software? It's not as robust as Parallels, but works for what I need it to do. Too bad because I really wanted to continue using Parallels for a broader Windows experience.

7. Chris@Parallels

Chris@Parallels Hunter

Hi LetzGogh,

We did just run a number of promotions specifically for our Parallels Desktop 7 customers. Unfortunately, we are not able to offer complimentary upgrades on the newly released Parallels Desktop 9.
    If you do purchase a copy of Parallels Desktop 8 for Mac from an authorized reseller (who are now discounting the product since 9 has released), you are eligible for our Tech Guarantee until October 31, 2013.

Chris

8. HansPeter

HansPeter Bit poster

Service Update to run Parallells 7 on Mavericks

Dear Parallels Team,

I run Parallels 7 an just upgraded to the free Mac OS X Mavericks like probably all Mac Lion users are doing.
    I can´t believe that I have to buy an update for 50€ to Parallels 9 to get it running on Mavericks.
    That´s absolutely not acceptable and for sure I rather will go to other solutions than to support this unbounded cheeck with again buying an update. I already had to buy an update for Mac OS Lion!

Please release a service update for Parallels 7 to make it compatilble to Mac OS Mavericks like all other software developers are doing!

Best regards
    HansPeter

I

Last edited: Oct 23, 2013
  9. LetzGogh

LetzGogh Bit poster

HansPeter,

I agree with you completely!!! Fyi, in preparation for this Parallels fatality, I have already downloaded and installed CodeWeavers CrossOver12. It works like a charm for me running both MS Office and Quicken on Mavericks. I'm done with Parallels forever.

Hope this helps!

10. Chris@Parallels

Chris@Parallels Hunter

Hi HansPeter,

Thank you for your post. Parallels will not be releasing an update for Parallels Desktop 7 for Mac. As we stated, it is simply not feasible to for Parallels to make our older versions compatible with the new OS releases. Parallels Desktop 7 for Mac is over two years old and we have released two new versions. Parallels Desktop 9 for Mac was built and designed for the new OS's (Mavericks/Windows 8) and Parallels Desktop 8 for Mac is compatible to take advantage of most of the features of Mavericks. Supporting three versions back is not something we are able to do as a company.

Registered customers of Parallels Desktop 7 for Mac received and email and in-product-service announcement with the above information the same day I opened this forum thread.

Thank you again for taking the time to express your thoughts as I am sure many others have the same questions as well.
    Chris

11. Chris@Parallels

Chris@Parallels Hunter

Hi HansPeter,

We will continue to support the last two versions of Parallels, meaning 8 or 9 will work on Mavericks at this time. Parallels Desktop 9 just released this last September so there is no scheduled release at this time for a new version. Apple,like Parallels, also generally releases a complete refresh annually.

I understand the extra cash outlay can be a frustration point and thank you for a keeping the dialogue relevant and to the point. You may be able to come across of a copy of Parallels Desktop 8 in a re-seller bundle deal or retailer that you could also use to be Mavericks compatible. Parallels no longer stocks PD8 since the release of PD9.

Chris

12. CharalampiaB

CharalampiaB Bit poster

So, I have PD 7 and Windows 7 installed. If I decided to upgrade to PD9 and pay the $49 (which I find outrageous and I will definitely NOT choose your product again on my next laptop), will I still be able to run Windows 7 on that? Do I just install the upgrade or do I need to do anything on the Windows afterwards, before installing Mavericks?

13. HaraldA

HaraldA Bit poster

I specifically registered to let you know that I agree with all the others here. I only bought PD 7 in July last year and now have to pay 50€ to use it with Mavericks.
    ALL the other applications I bought more than 2 or 3 years ago still run on Mavericks - ALL OF THEM. Some of them I bought over 4 years ago and they still work (of course being updated once in a while)
    I'm not gonna pay again after only a little more of one year of usage. Other friends and colleagues use Parallels longer than me and told me that it is common practice with Parallels customers have to pay almost every time a new OS is released.
    All these posts here and in other threads should make you change your mind and realize that the policy you're going for will not add-up on a longterm base or I can tell you'll see your customers will turn away from you and no "explanations" of yours will keep them from doing so.
    I do a lot of keynotes for German Apple Resellers and very often get asked about the options to use windows on a mac - seeing this kind of customer support will definitely keep me from recommending Parallels Desktop...
    Harald

14. MarcSteamboat

MarcSteamboat Bit poster

So Parallels ONLY SUPPORTS ITS PRODUCT FOR 24 MONTHS?
    YOU MADE A MISTAKE IN THIS POLICY.
    I WILL NEVER BUY OR USE OR RECOMMEND YOUR PRODUCT EVER!
    This is a blunder on your part.
    You need to support a Cycle, not a policy that will DROP A BOMB on your customers that says, "hey, if its two versions old, your SOL!"
    What if you didn't Run Parallels before you upgraded, how would your loyal customers know?
    FIX 7, CHANGE YOUR POLICY, OR LOSE MANY MANY CUSTOMERS.

15. Chris@Parallels

Chris@Parallels Hunter

Hi CharalampiaB,

You can do the upgrade to Parallels Desktop 9 as normal and you VM will be automatically migrated, so there is no issues with your running Windows 7. If you are going to upgrade to Mavericks, we strongly suggest you do the upgrade to Parallels Desktop first.

Chris

16. jackh15

jackh15 Bit poster

it's crazy! now i need to pay extra, even more to get the paralllels updated to keep up with Mac!! I only got it for my mac incase i need to use MS again...I think i only turn it on few times after I got it...now it's not working at all and asked me to pay more! piss off! Never use it again! It's in the bin!

17. BillSm

BillSm Bit poster

Dear Parallels, I throughly enjoyed the many features of Parallels 7. I will say that at the time and for long after, I appreciated it's support for windows but also it's ability to support andriod, chrome os, etc. However, as everyone else here already stated, I am very disappointed in your negligence to support 7 for Mavericks. However, I still was considering upgrading to at least 8, but then I read your replies to these customers posts and have chosen to take my business elsewhere. Yes, there may be no product that meets the standards of parallels, but rest assured I will not support an organization who will not support their customers even though there is a CLEAR NEED for support, 8.1 was a free upgrade for Windows, Mavericks was a free upgrade for Mac. Maybe you should follow in the footsteps of these larger organizations if you want to retain customer support for future products. I'm sure you'll delete this post because it likely violets your terms and conditions for posting, but I wanted to personally express my tremendous disappointment in your company for a product I once loved.

18. LeopoldE

LeopoldE Bit poster

I have a question: in your us-online store i have to pay 49,99 usd for the upgrade - in europe i have to pay 49,99 eur.
    the current change: eur 49,99 = 68,74 usd - whats this for?
    in german we have a nice word for this: abzocke, wegelagerei

19. StephenBlender

StephenBlender Bit poster

Although I feel like posting here is pointless, I have to agree with the disappointed users in this forum. I remember getting the information email about the lack of Maverick support for P7. At the time I had somewhat recently purchased it through a reseller bundle. Between 6 months and a year. Anyway, the argument that is it "2 versions old" is obviously meaningless and arbitrary. It is 2 versions old because versions are being released as often as they are. The issue, for me at least, isn't that lack of support for 7, it is the steep update price after a short period of time. Staffer Chris suggested looking for a Desktop 8 in a re-seller bundle deal. Maybe what parallels should be doing is making this available as a low price option. Your software's incompatibility with the newest version of it's platform should not be a windfall for your company.

20. KandidH

KandidH Bit poster

Being forced to upgrade...

Hi everybody,

"If you intend to upgrade to Mac OS X Mavericks (10.9), please note that Parallels Desktop 7 for Mac will not support OS X Mavericks (10.9)."

I just wanted to mention here, that I am not going to upgrade my parallels software everytime I update my OS. I don't need to have always the newest features and therefore I am not ready to pay 50$ just to be able to continue to use it! For me that's actually a reason to not longer use parallels in the future anymore.