OS X on Windows xp

Discussion in 'Feature Suggestions' started by j0390, Jun 26, 2007.

1. j0390

j0390 Bit poster

This has prolly been asked a million times but I can't see it anywhere, can or will OS X Intel build be run on Parallels for Windows, and if not, why not and when will we be able to ;-)

Cheer' bo' :D

2. Sonderpa

Sonderpa Member

3. websyndicate

websyndicate Hunter

you can do that in Ubuntu Ive seen it dunn before and aswell run xp

4. j0390

j0390 Bit poster

What do you mean Websyndicate, you can run OSX Intel build in Ubuntu using Parallels Workstation?

5. mmischke

mmischke Hunter

I'd suggest checking out some of the OS X/x86-related sites if you're interested in the various hobbyist workarounds. I doubt that Parallels will permit much discussion here on violating Apple's licensing agreements. :) Seriously, though. It's not for the faint of heart, anyway, and will only result in a partial OS X experience, at best. Perhaps that's why Apple's so set against it.

6. itsdapead

itsdapead Hunter

I think that's the one thing that ain't never gonna happen.

Letting people "audition" OS X on a Windows machine does not help Apple much - first half hour with ANY new operating system is always frustrating even if its not running in
    flakey hack mode, so it might not tempt people to switch. I don't think anybody missed this much back when OSX only ran on PPC anyway...

I hope Apple will find a way of letting OSX run in a VM - or Mac developers and web designers will start asking why they need that roomful of old macs (especially as PPC becomes obsolete) for testing when their PC chums can have Win95-Vista inclusuve running simultaneously on one machine - but I expect that would depend on Apple working with Parallels/VMWare to ensure that it could only happen on a Mac host. This also means that Parallels/VMWare need an incentive to be pro-active about it - currently Windows-on-Mac is the potential cash cow - the Mac world doesn't have the hoardes of corporate developers that support (Parallels|VMWare) Workstation on PC.