Upgrade to Mavericks and Parallels 9 made Windows SLOWER NOT FASTER!

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by halcwb, Oct 25, 2013.

1. halcwb

halcwb Junior Member

Upgrade to Mavericks and Parallels 9 made Windows not faster, maybe slower

After upgrading to Mavericks and Parallels 9 I have a Windows VM that is slower! Not faster as promised.

The performance score prior to upgrading was 7.0 and now is 6.6. Graphics performance and disk data transfer took a hit.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2013
  2. EllwoodN

EllwoodN Hunter

Windows Performance Score is flakey at best and is only meaningful if the
    numbers are say 4 vs. 7. Even dedicated benchmarking tools are only a guide
    and the resulting numbers need to vary by significant amounts to be meaningful.

Are you actually experiencing performance issues vs. previous configurations
    of OS and PD9? If so, what are they?

3. halcwb

halcwb Junior Member

I agree that this is not about direct user experience. But, I also tested the upgrade on a different machine, there performance was in fact equal. Therefore, I am still much in doubt whether the upgrade to Parallels 9 offers significant performance gains. I moderated the title of my post, as I agree, this was a bit too harsh.

P.s. I am still curious whether users actually measure or experience performance gain (or loss).

Last edited: Oct 25, 2013
  4. EllwoodN

EllwoodN Hunter

There is one factor to consider, especially when benchmarking virtual machines,
    is how busy the host OS is at the time. It can be likely that with a VM, running
    the test at different times will yield different numbers.

5. halcwb

halcwb Junior Member

I am sorry but just throwing suggestions to me to prove me wrong is not really helpful. No matter what, I get the exact same performance measures. Also, after using the new setup for some while, the VM reacts more sluggish, like scrolling in VS2012. Never noticed a lag before, but now, scrolling isn't smooth anymore.

So, I am not a very happy customer of Parallels at the moment. Is it possible to downgrade a machine?

6. halcwb

halcwb Junior Member

Ok, let me rephrase my subjective experience performance wise: it &(^^%*(%&...cks

You may fill in the rest, and I don't think anymore that my title was harsh. I am running this VM on the latest retina Mac Book Pro, gave it 4 cores, 8 Gig and 1 Gig of video memory, and it performance sluggish!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!