Parallels Desktop 6 to 9?

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by Kenny@Flashover, Oct 23, 2013.

1. Kenny@Flashover

Kenny@Flashover Bit poster

I am using Parallels Desktop 6 with OSX 10.6.8.
    And, I wanna upgrade to OSX 10.9 Mavericks and use Parallels Desktop 9, however, the upgrade alternative to PD9 dose not support PD6.
    What should i do?
    OR Can I buy a new PD9 and transfer to PD6 old data to PD9?

Thanks!!!!!

2. Chris@Parallels

Chris@Parallels Hunter

Hi Kenny,

You will need to purchase a full version license for Parallels Desktop 9 from our online store. The download link will be provided in the confirmation email or can be found at http://www.parallels.com/downloads/desktop/
    Enter your key and follow the installation wizard. This will automatically update your VM and copy of Parallels to PD9. After you have completed the upgrade, you can complete your OS upgrade to Mavericks.

Chris

3. IlliniEd

IlliniEd Bit poster

Hi Chris,

I previously asked about upgrading from PD7, but I subsequently realized I have PD6. Because I have already loaded Mavericks, can I upgrade to PD9 (after purchasing the full version) without a problem? I am planning to buy PD9 in the box and wonder if that is different than the download option. Thanks for your help as I muddle through this upgrade process.

Ed

4. Chris@Parallels

Chris@Parallels Hunter

Hi Ed,

You can purchase the full version directly on our website for an electronic download - and there is no difference between the box and download version. Once you download, your VM will be updated to PD9 and you will be able to launch without issues. Let us know if we can be of any assistance with the upgrade process.

Chris

5. W.J

W.J Bit poster

Hi Chris,
    I started out with PD 4 and use PD6 now, I had it running on a mac using Snow Leopard until last week. I upgraded this week to Mountain Lion and would need the upgrade to PD8. I had several offers from Parallels in the past with discounts that I ignored because there was no urgency. Is there a way I can get PD 8, preferably at that discount rate of 30 euros? I rather not go for PD9, since it is a hefty 80 euros.
    Kind regards,
    Wim

6. Chris@Parallels

Chris@Parallels Hunter

Hi W.J,

Parallels is no longer selling Parallels Desktop 8 since we released our newest version in September, 2013. Unfortunately at this time we have no way of "selling" a copy since we have removed it from inventory. Where you may have some luck is to find an authorized reseller who does still stock version 8. I am not sure where you are in Europe, but Amazon is always a good starting place.

Hope this helps!
    Chris

7. W.J

W.J Bit poster

Hi Chris,
    Thanks for your prompt reply. I will go check this out.
    To be honest, I find Parallels quite aggressive in its selling methods, like taking the previous version out of stock so soon. A lot of people in this forum complain about the price being too high for an upgrade. I think Parallels should make a distinction between on one hand an upgrade of the product itself, with major new improvements - which justify a big price tag - and on the other hand updates that are necessary because of Apples new OS-versions. The latter are merely an unwellcome surprise that make customers mad if they have to pay more than half the price of a new product.