Parallels 9 now forcing use of app sharing to enable coherence mode

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by ThreeOnParFive, Oct 22, 2013.

1. ThreeOnParFive

ThreeOnParFive Bit poster

After upgrade to Mavericks and PD 9 build 9.0.231136 this evening, my Win7 VM will no longer run in coherence mode. I get a nice little dialog popping up from Parallels telling me that I have to enable app sharing to use coherence. WTF?!?!?!?!?

I just want a nice clean way to run a game and one other app. I don't want to blend the Windows and Mac OSes together. I should have the choice to run things however I want them. Why have you taken that way???

2. rodmg4

rodmg4 Bit poster

Same issue here, I just want to be able to use the window integration, but I don't like having all the Windows apps bloating my "Open With..." dialog and Finder icons.

3. Andrew@Parallels

Andrew@Parallels Parallels Team

4. ThreeOnParFive

I agree....that didn't use to be the case. However, given that a programmer had to have actually coded a dialog box to specifically say that sharing must be enable for coherence mode, I'm gonna have to disagree that it's not become a requirement. Tools or no tools, that dialog box was written in the code to say what it says. Applications can't just make up their own random dialog boxes.

5. JeremiahM

JeremiahM Bit poster

Has anyone found a way to use Coherence without Shared Applications? That behavior is EXTREMELY annoying.

6. chabig

chabig Hunter

It does seem that you can enable App Sharing, go to Coherence, and then turn App Sharing off. I don't understand why Parallels made App Sharing a requirement for Coherence and I hope it goes away in an upcoming version.

7. Greenwood Digital

Greenwood Digital Member

I get this dialog box every time I try to enable Coherence. And I just reinstalled Parallels Tools and rebooted my Win7 Ultimate VM.

Screen Shot 2013-10-27 at 9.45.06 PM.png

8. chabig

chabig Hunter

A new version of Parallels was released today and it still requires Shared Applications to be turned on before entering Coherence.

9. kgam

kgam Bit poster

Same problem here. Tried to re-install Parallels Tools as suggested but I'm still prompted. Also tried to select 'Isolate Windows from Mac' but that did not help either. I like to run with a clean line between my Mac and the guest OS so I'll be running in Window-mode until this is fixed.

Thanks.

10. BlairH

BlairH Bit poster

Very disappointed with this change in Paralles. Now Windows apps show up in my spotlight searches. We *Need* the ability to keep the virtualization in a bubble. Coherence was an excellent way to develop web apps on the mac and test on all the flavours of Internet Explorer. There is no way I will every share apps ... please restore coherence without this requirement.

11. ThreeOnParFive

New update out....same BS!

12. ThreeOnParFive

And yet ANOTHER update with this crap still not fixed. WTF?!?!?!?

13. BlairH

BlairH Bit poster

Why is Coherence not fixed ... an explanation is required. How many updated have come and gone??????????????

14. ThreeOnParFive

The BS e-mail response I just received from Parallels after submitting a comment on their website:

Thank you for your feedback. We do check our forum but not every single post will get a reply from a Parallels expert, so if you seek for assistance please file a Support Request and one of our Tech agents will get back to you for assistance.

This Parallels Desktop behavior is expected starting the latest update - Shared Applications are now required for Coherence mode for 100% integration. I do understand you want to tune Parallels Desktop for your own needs but I have to tell you there is no option to use Coherence mode without Shared Applications enabled from now on.

I have passed your feedback to Development team for analysis - they do collect user experience.

So basically, they don't care that their customers aren't happy with their changes.

15. Hansaplast

Hansaplast Bit poster

Same issues here ... even worse: this idiotic behavior makes it even that it will use the Windows application over the Mac application.
    Example: I use Lazarus Pascal to develop apps under MacOS X, double click a project file however will open de Windows version.
    Great ... exactly what I DID NOT WANT.

I tried contacting Support but that's a joke on it's own, diverting me constantly to an irrelevant KB article ...