Uninstalling Parallels Access

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration' started by hschneider, Aug 28, 2013.

1. Mike Boreham

Mike Boreham Pro

Thank you Parallels, but it didn't happen for me in Terminal like the instructions.

I followed the instructions exactly but the script did not run. I did it as written in the instructions, and also with a space after the "sudo" as shown in the little screenshot.

What actually worked was:-

1. Open Terminal,
    2. Drag the script in,
    3. Hit enter, then it asked for my password,
    4. Entered password (does not show password being entered)
    5. Hit enter again,
    6. Script ran.

Finishes up with a message that "your system is pristine"

2. Electronicowboy

Electronicowboy Bit poster

Thanks for the help.

3. Electronicowboy

Welcome to the world of control. It is your computer, and Microsoft or Apple or Google tell you how things are going to look and function.

4. Electronicowboy

Do you really think they will do that? It is like installing this great new program, and once you restart there is a brand new tool bar in your browser. Did it ask you if you want it?, no. Is there a way to uninstall it?, no. Who really cares if it is your computer. Software venders have every right to install anything they want on your computer. Don't they?

5. Andrew@Parallels

Andrew@Parallels Parallels Team

Parallels Access Agent auto-install with Parallels Desktop 9 has been fixed in the last build of Parallels Desktop. Now when you click "no", no additional instances are installed.

As for Parallels Access Agent removal, the uninstall scrips had been added to http://kb.parallels.com/117142

6. lotw

lotw Product Expert

That only solves one of the problems with PA. The auto run is a major problem for lots of people and system administrators. NO REMOTE SOFTWARE should auto run.

7. ParallelsJohn

ParallelsJohn Bit poster

8. lotw

lotw Product Expert

That video also shows the problem with PA, the cost vs features. Can only control on machine, period (when it should be one machine at a time). For most people $80 is too much since they will only use it about 1 or twice a year. Once the novelty ends you'll stop using it, especially with all the bugs and messing up video setting.

9. SevalG

SevalG Bit poster

I just installed the Parallels Desktop 9 version build 9.0.23062 and did not see an "Install Parallels Access" option. I could not find a Parallels Access program in Applications.
    Is there any way it is hidden and I do not know if was installed without my knowledge?

10. lotw

lotw Product Expert

It is now setup when you download it. If you select no PA it downloads PD without PA added.

11. SevalG

SevalG Bit poster

I did not see that option when I installed it.
    How can I find out if it was installed?

12. Jeff-W

Jeff-W Bit poster

FYI - there is information missing from those instructions (in my opinion). Namely, if your user account is not an admin user, as is recommended for security, you will need to switch accounts to an admin user, or for a quicker solution via Terminal type "su your-admin-user-name" and hit enter, then type in that user account's password and hit enter, then type in "sudo " (note the space after) and do not hit enter, then drag-and-drop the script file (this gets around the file having been downloaded into your non-admin user's downloads folder) and hit enter, finally enter your admin user's password again and the purge script will run. It will successfully remove user-specific preference files despite being run from another account, so all is well.

13. davidqhogan

davidqhogan Bit poster

Thanks - I wouldn't have considered upgrading if you hadn't fixed the auto install.

14. jeremyhu

jeremyhu Bit poster

The errors are because you are using sudo. You need to use 'launchctl unload ...' to unload the agent. Daemons are in the system bootstrap (use sudo); agents are in the per user bootstrap (don't use sudo).

15. Jcma22

Jcma22 Bit poster

Here are my two cents.

It is a really bad idea to load unwanted vulnerability.

Parallels Access should be option and NOT a default. Security warnings should accompany its installation.

The next minor release should remove parallel access and only install it as a user option. The release should include a switch to uninstall it as well.

Moreover, a security analysis of these remote access tools should be done to assure that customer credentials cannot be accessed by parallels or 3rd parties that the access code cannot be hijacked by other compromises. Competent security means that parallels never holds user credentials and credentials are always protected by reasonable crypto.

Whenever a company builds access of customer machines into its business model, it will become a target for exploitation by sophisticated attackers, assuming the company is not already a stalking horse for somebody's intelligence service.

Welcome to modern insecurity. Hire a security consultant or two.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2013
  16. VirginiaM

VirginiaM Bit poster

Mine tells me it is running and will not let me uninstall it I have never even opened it up or registered it. How do I remove it now. I want to take Parelles out of my Mac and cannot do it because of Access will not delete.