After upgrading to Mavericks, Act Mon says Windows 8 (not responding)

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by JoelRubio, Oct 22, 2013.

1. Andrew@Parallels

Andrew@Parallels Parallels Team

Hello MarcelloS,
    We are checking your problem report ID with the development team.

All - please post your problem report ID's here, it will help to find a solution sooner: http://kb.parallels.com/en/9058

2. Jazzy_Jazz

Jazzy_Jazz Bit poster

Same problem here:
    Updated to maverics with parallels 8..got problems..then upgraded to parallels 9....still got same problems.
    I just can't run simple programs like MPLAB who was responding very fast on mountain lion.
    If I start programs like altium summer designer viewer my whole mac freezes and the only way to make it work again is to turn off by pressing the power button.....

3. PaulBurger

PaulBurger Bit poster

Yes, same here... (not responding in red) I was better off with v8 :-/

Mavericks + Win7 + Parallels 9

Report ID 30339483

4. Jazzy_Jazz

Jazzy_Jazz Bit poster

Well...I tried parallels 8 after upgrading to mavericks and had the same problem as in 9...so I hoped to fix that by upgrading to parallels 9 but still the same problem :(((

5. DoniK

DoniK Hunter

Same here, but like others have said it's not actually causing any problems. People with specific other problems should really open different threads, there's no indication those are related.

Note that on my system Google Chrome Helper exhibits the same symptoms. Perhaps something in app code needs to be updated to play well with 10.9's Activity Monitor.

6. DannyMc

DannyMc Bit poster

Mavericks Activity Monitor (Parallels VM (No Responding))

Parallels 8 on Mac Mavericks, VM Windows 8.1
    Not Responding
    Parallels VM
    Google Chrome Helper

7. soundpassion

soundpassion Bit poster

Sorry I supposed the issues were resolved but .......

Screen Shot 2013-10-30 at 6.07.43.png

Report ID 30360780

Last edited: Oct 29, 2013
  8. DenisO

DenisO Parallels Developers

Its known issue - when using Parallels Desktop on a Mac with OS X 10.9 Mavericks, in some cases the virtual machine process may appear as Not Responding in Activity Monitor. However, it doesn't affect the virtual machine performance in any way.
    We are working on that, and will try to fix it in the nearest update.
    I'm sorry for causing trouble.

9. Jazzy_Jazz

Jazzy_Jazz Bit poster

Dear DenisO,

When do you expect the update to be ready?
    My Report ID is 30244194
    I really need this to get working fast as I otherwise need to look for another solution because I need it every day at work...

10. DoniK

DoniK Hunter

@Jazzy_Jazz: It's a minor, cosmetic issue; doesn't cause any working problems, just how it appears in Activity Monitor. As @DenisO confirmed: "However, it doesn't affect the virtual machine performance in any way." There's no reason you can't continue to use it every day for work -- I do.

11. Jazzy_Jazz

Jazzy_Jazz Bit poster

Yes, I got that but: When I run altium designer summer viewer (it's a program to view PCB design files) my whole mac is freezing.
    When I had mountain lion installed everything was working fine. Have that on all virtual windows machines installed.
    Also other programs are very slow.

12. DoniK

DoniK Hunter

That has nothing to do with this thread. Open a different thread, if you're having those problems.

13. jwjohnson99

jwjohnson99 Member

Actually my Windows XP vm shows (Not Responding) but also is consuming 100% cpu resources. The programs in windows run quite sluggishly. Prior to upgrading to OSX 10.9 it was very quick. My Report ID is 30381288.

Screen Shot 2013-10-30 at 11.49.10 AM.png

14. DoniK

DoniK Hunter

Why do you assume cause and effect? Everyone has the "Not Responding" issue, even if their VMs are fine. Yours is a different issue, it's more than this. If it were me, I'd be opening a separate thread and a support ticket to troubleshoot my problems in more detail.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2013
  15. MattN

MattN Bit poster

jwjohnson99--I had the same issue as you and it was driving me nuts. It was happening for all my VMs (Windows 8.1 and Windows 7) , and I actually narrowed it down to Windows Backup constantly respawning and using CPU (saw something similar here: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/...task-manager-does-not-show-the-guilty-process)

I don't understand why this suddenly started happening, but I fixed it by going to the Windows/system32 folder, finding the file sdclt.exe, right-clicking, changing the permissions so that I was the owner, then allowing myself full control over it. I think renamed it, like the person suggested in the above article to 1sdclt.exe (effectively making it not work anymore). On restart my high CPU usage went away. Not sure if this applies to you as well, but its worth a try. I never use Windows Backup services anyway, and I have no idea if this is something related to Parallels or not, but its made my life 100x better over the last few hours since I fixed it (was killing my battery life on my Macbook).

16. -Kieran-

-Kieran- Bit poster

I'm also having this issue with my Windows 7 machine, Windows applications are very sluggish since the update. It makes working in 3DsMax an absolute nightmare, I had no problems on Parallels 7.

Report ID 30390027.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2013
  17. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

I recommend reinstalling Parallels Desktop after upgrading to Mavericks.

The (Not Responding) thing seems to be a Mavericks oddity, happens with other applications, like Chrome processes, although Chrome is running perfectly fine.

18. Pierre-LucD

Pierre-LucD Bit poster

I did a clean install of Mavericks from a USB drive. Cannot be cleaner than this. The system is running perfectly fine. Installed Parallels 9. Windows 8.1, which I did a clean install in a brand new Parallels 9 VM, is sluggish, runs very slow, CPU time is high and my MacBook heats a lot.

OS X shows in Activity Monitor the Not Responding statement.

Waiting IMPATIENTLY for an update. I didn't pay 50 $ the upgrade to get such a piece of software. Parallels can do a lot better than this. I work every day with your software in production environment. It MUST BE RELIABLE and FAST (that's why I paid 2600 $ for my MacBook Pro Retina 15).

Thank you

19. MarcelloS

MarcelloS Bit poster

I'm sorry but this is not true, at least for me. Performance are affected!!! Even if the virtual machine is in stand by the "Windows 7 (not responding)" process is around 5% CPU usage and sometimes it goes up over 100%.

20. soundpassion

soundpassion Bit poster

Thank you very much DenisO, please fix the problem soon as possible, a lot of pro users is waiting for the solution.