Assigning a drive letter to a shared folder

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by Sagaces, Jun 28, 2007.

1. Sagaces

Sagaces Junior Member

Is there a way one can assign a drive letter, say Z:, to a shared folder so that objects within that folder can be accessed as though they were on an external drive?

As an example, instead of

\\.psf\apl\Q5\databases\rroc

I would like to be able to use

z:\Q5\databases\rroc

I have an application that for a number of years I worked with on my Macs via Virtual PC. Now that I am using Parallels Desktop instead it would be nice to access things using the same conventions that I used in Virtual PC.

Many thanks in advance for any solutions!

2. mcowger

mcowger Member

Tools menu in explorer, choose map network drive.

3. Sagaces

Sagaces Junior Member

Many thanks for taking the time to reply. However when I open Parallels Explorer I cannot find a Tools menu. Maybe I'm being dumb but I didn't see a reference to a Tools menu in the documentation.

4. dkp

dkp Forum Maven

What do you see if you open the Tools menu in Windows Explorer?

5. Sagaces

Sagaces Junior Member

Now methinks I'm being especially dumb! Where do I find Windows Explorer?

6. AlanH

AlanH Pro

You don't need to use Windows Explorer specifically. Just double click the My Documents folder in Windows and look at the menus along the top of the window.

7. Sagaces

Sagaces Junior Member

I'm still confused. Are you referring to Windows XP or Vista which is what I am using? The menus at the top of the Windows Explorer are Organize, Views, and Burn.

8. AlanH

AlanH Pro

XP. I don't have Vista, so I can't tell you where to find the relevant menu option in it.

However, I'm sure the facility must still exist, and it ought to be somewhere in the same vicinity. Have you tried looking in whatever passes for Control Panels in Vista?

A quick Google for "vista map network drive" brings up lots of hits. There must be something in there.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2007
  9. asterion

asterion Junior Member

The easiest way to map a drive in XP is to right-click on the My Network Places icon and select "map network drive." Unless they got rid of that in Vista, that's what I'd try first.

10. Sagaces

Sagaces Junior Member

That's essentially what I was able to do a short time ago and the result is what I wanted. In my case I right clicked on the shortcut on the desktop and was presented with the mapping option. I think where I was going astray was in thinking that the association would be made directly in Parallels Desktop and not directly in Vista. My mind was perhaps contaminated by my trying to imitate how one would do it in Virtual PC.

Many thanks for taking the time to comment.